Morning Update: Friday, Oct. 1st
A happy ending
Good morning, Madison.
Choose your own adventure:
I [regret/am thrilled] to inform you that it is now October. I know you are [saddened/delighted] by the colder weather that awaits us.
🧾 Willy Street Co-op says it has “not been able to substantiate” allegations that an employee made racist comments.
- The co-op says it reviewed 35 hours of security camera footage but couldn't substantiate the complaint. Management has not yet responded to follow-up questions from Madison365.
- In an earlier Facebook post, customer Dezarae House said she went to the Willy Street location of the co-op to pick up a quick breakfast when an employee told her “Don’t make a habit of coming in here,” and “you can’t pay for that with food stamps.”
🙁 Estrellón is closing permanently.
- Here's what the restaurant wrote on Facebook: "It’s with a heavy heart that we are announcing the permanent closure of Estrellón restaurant. We want to thank everyone that supported us for the last seven years and allowed us to do what we loved. Much like a restaurant opening, a closure comes with months of uncertainty and emotions. The last 1.5 years have been unforgettable but have strengthened how we cherish the first five."
🚘 Local officials say some people are driving slower on East Wash.
- From The Cap Times: "The percentage of drivers traveling over 40 miles per hour on East Washington Avenue at the Yahara River Bridge decreased from 8% to 1% from 2020 to 2021."
- Six pedestrians have been killed on the street this year.
🗳️ A nonpartisan committee has released a set of maps that would likely reduce the Republican advantage in the state legislature.
- So, will these proposed maps go anywhere? WPR notes that "although the Legislature can consider the maps proposed by the commission, it isn't required to."
- Governor Tony Evers, a Democrat, appointed the members of the nonpartisan commission. Republican lawmakers are seeking other map proposals.
- WPR recently announced the launch of a podcast about the complicated process and politics of redistricting. We highly recommend it.
🚘 More minor speed limit adjustments.
- The speed limit on Whitney Way, from Sheboygan Ave to Tokay Blvd, will change from 30 mph to 25 mph.
- Mineral Point Rd, from Whitney Way to Science Dr, will also see a reduction of the posted speed limit from 40 mph to 35 mph.
- The changes are effective Oct. 4.
- Here's a map from the city to help you visualize the changes:
☕ Grace Coffee's new location in Verona opens tomorrow.
- It's super close to Epic's campus.
- Address: 150 West End Circle Verona, Wisconsin.
🏫 One City Schools is renaming its campuses after a few prominent supporters.
- The campus that serves K-12 will be named after Pleasant Rowland, a local philanthropist who has donated over $10 million to the charter school.
- The preschool campus will be named the Krupp-Grove Family Unity Campus. Joseph Krupp and Diane Grove were some of the first financial supporters of the school.
💖 This is Doyle. He had a very eventful week. Here’s what went down, according to NBC15:
- He was stolen in a burglary earlier this week. 😧
- Police responded to a car crash Wednesday, where they found him.
- Since he matched the description of the stolen puppy, they arranged for his microchip to be scanned and confirmed his identity.
- He was reunited with his owners.
🦠 Covid-19 Resources
Wisconsin Vaccination Rate: 53.7%
Dane County Vaccination Rate: 71%
Here's where to find a COVID-19 vaccine near you.
Need a COVID-19 test? PHMDC has you covered.
Are you eligible for a third dose of Pfizer or Moderna? Find out here.