Morning Update: Friday, Sept. 24
When to expect those fall colors
Good morning, Madison.
It's fall, which means it's time to share one of the best Onion articles ever produced:
Mr. Autumn Man Walking Down Street With Cup Of Coffee, Wearing Sweater Over Plaid Collared Shirt
Enjoy your weekend!
🕺 There’s some confusion over Madison homecoming dances, the State Journal reports.
- On Wednesday, the school district released new guidance that allows homecoming dances to be held as long as certain restrictions are in place.
- But West and La Follette high schools had already called off their dances for reasons related to COVID-19, the State Journal reports.
- It's not clear if the high schools will reverse their decisions, but the district says individual schools have the final say in what kinds of homecoming events they host.
🍂 Fall colors are a couple of weeks behind schedule across the state.
- Warmer temperatures have led to the fall foliage delay.
- The Madison area is currently at 15% fall colors, according to the state's tracker.
- The fall colors in our area are expected to peak at the end of October.
🚤 Tommy Thompson knows what you think, but he still gave it "the old college try."
- The 79-year-old UW system president needed minor surgery last week after a water skiing accident.
- “I know you think I’m nuts,” he joked during a news conference.
- “I want to be able to show my grandchildren that I could do it, number one,” he said. “Number two, it was getting toward the end of the summer and I decided that I was going to give it the old college try."
🔍 Let’s check in with the GOP-backed efforts to investigate the election. WPR did a great explainer on this. Some highlights:
- There are three separate investigations going on in Wisconsin.
- None have revealed any evidence that there were any substantial irregularities in the 2020 election.
- There have also been "numerous" Republican-backed lawsuits since the election, but none have turned up any evidence of wrongdoing, WPR notes.
- Several similar efforts have taken place across the country, based on baseless allegations that voter fraud swayed the 2020 election.
- Related: Widely-Discredited Election Review In Arizona Confirms Biden's Win (NPR)
🗳️ Senator Ron Johnson's former communications director is running for lieutenant governor.
- Ben Voelkel worked for the Republication Senator for several years, the AP reports.
🏫 One Madison teacher described to PBS Wisconsin their "feeling of impending doom" about teaching during the uptick in the delta variant.
- The teacher, whose identity was kept anonymous, works in a local elementary school.
- In spring, the teacher had no positive cases in their classroom. This semester, they had one on the second day of school.
💵 The state has released more information on grant opportunities.
- There's a big boost in available funds due to pandemic relief from the federal government.
- There are grant opportunities for minor league sports teams, summer camp programs, workforce innovation proposals, tourism, movie theaters, and event venues.
📚 Lunchtime read: "Off the track: The future is unclear for Madison School District's Pathways program" (Cap Times)
🦠 Covid-19 Resources
Wisconsin Vaccination Rate: 53.2%
Dane County Vaccination Rate: 70.7%
Here's where to find a COVID-19 vaccine near you.
Need a COVID-19 test? PHMDC has you covered.
Are you eligible for a third dose of Pfizer or Moderna? Find out here.
🐓 These birds know how to play music! From Henry Vilas Zoo:
Photo credit: (CC CC BY 2.0 licensed photo courtesy of Flickr user John Benson)