Events: August 23-29
Woah woah woah. What is Madison Minutes doing in my inbox on Sunday? Good question, reader.
A while back, we asked you when you start making your weekend plans. The majority of you said you think about your plans early in the week. With that in mind, we're making a significant change to how we share events.
Old way of doing things: Listing events in the morning newsletter every day.
New way of doing things: Sharing events in one post/email at the beginning of the week and linking out to that post in each morning newsletter.
- Orton-Front Festival will be held Thursday through Sunday on Madison's eastside. This year's event will "combine the flavors and features of both the Marquette Waterfront Festival and Orton Park Festival." Food, aerial dance, drinks, music, and more.
- Good Neighbor Festival will be held Friday through Sunday in Middleton. This year's theme is “All Together Now.” Food, games, parade, 5k walk/run, art and craft fair, and carnival.
- Sew Your Own Face Mask workshop for kids at Meadowridge Library. All materials provided. 1 p.m.
- Lakeside Cinema: "Wet Hot American Summer" at Memorial Union Terrace. 9 p.m. Free.
- Adventure Under the Sea: virtual, interactive tour of the award-winning Texas State Aquarium. Hosted by DreamBank. 11 a.m.-12 p.m. Free.
- Your Lunch Time live concert: Acoplados Duo. Concert has been relocated to S Hamilton corner of the Capitol Square. Noon-1 p.m. Free.
- Concerts in the Park: RANDOM MAXX at Wetmore Park in Sun Prairie. 6 p.m. Free.
- Rally To Stop Enbridge Lines 3 & 5 at the Capitol. Organized by Wisconsin 7, 350 Madison Climate Action Team and Building Unity. 12 p.m.
- Red Cross Blood Drive at Central Library. 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Webinar: “Forgetting: What it is and Why it Helps Us Remember” with UW psychology professor Dr. Haley Vlach. 7 p.m. Free.
- Movie Night at Breese Stevens field. "Movies will be voted on by you, the fans!" 6:30 p.m. Free.
- Conversation with the filmmakers of "Can You Hear Us Now?" Stream the documentary about gerrymandering for free before the discussion. 7 p.m. Virtual.
- Vaccine and Be Seen networking event hosted by the Greater Madison Area Chamber of Commerce. 8-10 a.m.
- Virtual luncheon with UW system interim president (and former Wisconsin governor) Tommy Thompson. Discussion expected to include the return to in-person classes and budgeting without the tuition freeze. 12-1 p.m. Free.
- “Crafternoon” at Garver Feed Mill. Purchase and make craft kits from Revel. 4-7 p.m. No entry fee.
- Cheese Camp hosted by Madison Eats Food Tours and Camp Trippalindee. Cheese tasting and education event. 5 p.m. $90 per person.
- 90s and 2000s cover tunes for throwback Thursday at Breakwater Monona. 5-8 p.m.
- Schitt’s creek trivia at the Sylvee Side Stage. Prizes for 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place and best dressed. 5:30 p.m.
- Madison Jazz Orchestra at Brinklounge Madison. 7:30-10:30 p.m.
- Dane Dances: DJ ACE, Sounds of Slave R&B Band, and Public Announcement. Starts at 6 p.m. Free. No ticket required.
- Friday night classical guitars at Lisa Link Peace Park. Featuring guitarist Matthew Ackerman. 7-9 p.m. Free.
- Lady Laughs Comedy Night Out! at Yahara Bay Distillers. 8 p.m. $15 pre-purchase, $20 at door.
- Spoken word and comedy showcase, part of the Mad Lit event series, on the 100 block of State Street. 8-11 p.m. Free.
- "RBG" movie screening at Delta Beer Lab. 8:10 p.m. Free.
- Deviance: a BDSM play event. 9 p.m. $10 if dressed up, $15 if in street clothes. Proof of vaccination required.
- World Naked Bike Ride to protest fossil fuels. Gathering starts at 9:00 a.m. for snacks, socializing, body painting. The ride is at 11:00 a.m. Route details will be shared at least one day in advance.
- Lakeside summer market organized by UpNorth Boutique. Local artists, makers and businesses, lake views, food and drink.10 a.m.- 2 p.m.
- Burgers & Brew Drive through event at Capital Brewery and Bier Garten to raise funds to support REAP Food Group. 4-7:30 p.m. $25 per person.
- Curd Fest at Breese Stevens Field. All kinds of cheese curds! 4-8 p.m. No admission fee.
- Ratboys with Gentle Brontosaurus at Memorial Union Terrace. 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. Free.
- Music video dance party with Nick Nice at Robinia Courtyard. 21+. Starts at 10 p.m. Free.
- Gallery day: B*TCHES! A celebration of rescue dogs and their owners. Shown at Dulcy Dog Photography studio. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Madison Comic Con at Monona Terrace. Adults $8, kids 12 and under are free. 10 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- Music on the Lake: Troye Shanks at the East Side Club. 5:30-8:30 p.m.