7 things you should know for Friday
Good morning, Madison!
Friday is my favorite day of the week. Why? Because I get to email all of you. I used to do this every day before Hayley came on board. Now, I focus on administrative stuff most days.
There's a lot that goes into running the newsletter. In addition to keeping an eye on everything that happens in our community, we also have to stay on top of bookkeeping, list growth, technology, newsletter improvements and so much more.
📜 Republican lawmakers have proposed a bill that would require public and charter schools to alert parents to any teaching about gender or sexuality.
- If passed, it would allow parents to opt their children out of any curriculum "related to sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or gender expression."
- Brian Juchems, co-executive director of GSAFE, said the bill could "effectively erase any acknowledgement that LGBT students exist in our schools.”
- Read more in the Cap Times.
🏈 Madison West High School is canceling its next two football games due to Covid-19.
- The team was scheduled to play Middleton tonight and Sun Prairie next week.
- Related: "Number of students, staff quarantines increased 4-fold in Madison School District" (State Journal)
🎺 The UW marching band had to pause practice for a few days due to positive Covid-19 cases.
- The Badger Herald reports that “several” band members had confirmed cases.
- Related: The Journal Sentinel recently profiled the band’s drum major. He was heartbroken that the band couldn’t take the field last year but he's living out his dream this season.
🖍️ The Cap Times recently caught up with Madison artist Doug E.L. Haynes, the creator of the "State St. Adult Coloring Book."
- The book captures both scenes from everyday life and notable events from the past couple of years.
- But what’s a coloring book without a bit of whimsy? One page depicts State Street “100 years in the future, with the street full of aliens and time portals,” the Cap Times reports.
- You can buy the coloring book online or snag a copy at the University Book Store or Leopold's Book Bar Caffè.
🏥 UW system president Tommy Thompson had a minor surgery Thursday after a water skiing accident.
- The 79-year-old university leader said that he had to get his “bicep reattached to the tendon.”
🚗 The Bubblemobile is back.
- Local man Jim Wildeman will lead the Willy Street Parade this weekend in his unique Bubblemobile.
- What is this so-called Bubblemobile? Fair question, reader. It’s a 1967 Cadillac with repurposed sousaphones that produce bubbles.
- The State Journal has more details — and pictures!
- According to Emojipedia, a bubble emoji was just approved this month and will be "coming to major platforms in late 2021 and throughout 2022." In other words, it'll be ready for next year's Bubblemobile blurb.
💉 The $100 reward for getting vaccinated ends this weekend.
- Wisconsin residents who get their first dose of the vaccine between Aug. 20 and Sept. 19 are eligible for a $100 gift card from the state government.
🦠 Covid-19 Resources
Wisconsin Vaccination Rate: 52.7%
Dane County Vaccination Rate: 70.2%
Here's where to find a COVID-19 vaccine near you.
Need a COVID-19 test? PHMDC has you covered.
Are you eligible for a third dose of Pfizer or Moderna? Find out here.