Events: Aug. 30-Sept. 5
Correction 8/31: We originally listed the Badger football game and related festivities under the wrong day. They are on Saturday.
Badger football is back! If that's your thing, scroll down to Saturday to see some tailgating options. And if that's not your thing, we have 37 other suggestions for this week.
- Friends of the Cooperative Children's Book Center Book Sale. Thursday - Saturday. No credit cards.
- Verona Hometown Days. Live music, food, magic show, parade, carnival. Friday - Sunday.
- Taste of Madison at Breese Stevens Field. 40 food vendors, drinks, and music. Saturday and Sunday. For the first time, tickets are required for entry.
- Midwest Vintage Flea at Garver Feed Mill. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. No admission fee.
- Michelle Wolf at Comedy on State. Multiple showtimes on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Tickets $40.
Monday, August 30
- Madison Schools board of education meeting. Vaccine mandate for staff will be discussed. Starts at 5:30 p.m. Virtual.
- Author talk: #transgirlsummer With Romance Authors Penny Aimes and May Peterson! Hosted by Room of One’s Own. Virtual. 7 p.m.
Tuesday, August 31
- Webinar: “Our Genes Tell an Important Story” by Philipp Koellinger, Professor of Public Affairs at UW-Madison. 12 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- Overdose Awareness Day Remembrance Event at Olbrich Park. Organized by Safe Communities MDC. 6 p.m.
- Madison City Council meeting. 6:30 p.m. Virtual.
- Trivia at the Wisconsin Brewing Company. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Free.
- Yoga class benefiting Dane County Humane Society at Perennial Yoga. Beginners welcome! 6 p.m. $20 donation per person.
- Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue with DJ Logic at the Sylvee. $29.50 and up. Must have printed proof of vaccination or negative Covid-19 test. 8 p.m.
- Lucid Tuesday: Otto, Romy, + more at Crucible. Electronic music. 9 p.m. $5 cover.
Wednesday, September 1
- T(w)een Graphic Novel Book Discussion for The Magic Fish by Trung Le Nguyen at Pinney Library. 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Empathetic Listening Training organized by Wisconsin Council of Churches. The training “will provide participants the tools and confidence they need to listen to COVID vaccine concerns” and “steer them toward making a well-informed decision about vaccination.” 7-8 p.m. Virtual. Free with registration.
- Webinar: "On the Trails of Malaria and Covid" with Christina Carlson of the CDC. Part of Wednesday Nite @ The Lab at UW-Madison. 7-8:15 p.m. Free. Virtual.
- Virtual Forum: Where Are Wisconsin’s Fair Maps? Hosted by Wisconsin League of Women Voters. 7-8:15 p.m. Free.
Thursday, September 2
- Vineyard Walk at West Madison Agricultural Research Station. Walk through the vineyards with UW-Madison experts and learn about grape varieties, disease resistance evaluations, insect monitoring efforts, and general vineyard management. 1-3 p.m. Free.
- “Bodega” outdoor market at Breese Stevens Field. 4-8 p.m. Free.
- Petphoria + bartaco pup night. Plus Dog tacos + bone broth muttgaritas for the dogs (with any purchase). Hilldale. 5:30-7 p.m.
- Presentations in the Park - Scaly Friends in Your Backyard: Wisconsin's Native Reptiles at The Lussier Family Heritage Center. 6 p.m. Bring your own chairs. $10.
- “The Honey Pies” at Monona Terrace. Part of Live @ Lake Vista music series. 6-9 p.m. Free but they say you should still get a ticket online due to limited capacity.
- “Old school dance party” w/ DJ Nick Nice at Memorial Union. 7-10 p.m. Free.
- #ExtraAFComedy Online! by Lady Laughs Comedy. 7:30 p.m. Free.
Friday, September 3
- Party in the Park at James Madison Park. Organized by WSUM 91.7 FM. 2-6 p.m. Free.
- “About Endlessness (Om det oändliga)” screening with UW Cinematheque at Vilas Hall. 7 p.m.
- Dan Moore Trio organized by Arts + Literature Laboratory at 7 p.m. Free.
- “The Sandlot” screening at Delta Beer Lab. 8 p.m. Free.
Saturday, September 4
- Wisconsin State Cow Chip Throw & Festival in Prairie du Sac. Throw cow poop and enjoy food and live music. 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m.
- Rockin Brews marathon. Five races, one beer festival. Costs a lot of money.
- Bird & Nature Adventures at Tenney Park. 2:30-4 p.m. No registration required, no pets allowed.
- Live Polka with Mike Schneider at The Biergarten at Olbrich Park. 1-5 p.m.
- Badger Bash Tailgate Party at Union South. Marching band, spirit squad, games, music, and the "best game-day restrooms in Madison." Free admission.
- Badger Recovery Tailgate at East Campus Mall. Alcohol and drug free tailgate. 9-11 a.m. Games, music, snacks, and beverages. Free admission.
- Live on the Patio: Lulu Quintet at Bos Mead Hall. 6:30 p.m. Free.
- The Deadlights, BingBong, and Made of Blocks at BarleyPop Live! 8 p.m. $10.
Sunday, September 5
- “The Princess Bride” screenings at Memorial Union Terrace. Two showings — 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. “Intended for UW Madison Students” 😉. Free.
- Monarch Tagging at Pope Farm Conservancy. 12-2 p.m. Free with registration.