Good morning, Madison!
If you're wondering why everyone around you is suddenly ripped and eating chicken with broccoli, well, it's CrossFit time.
The NOBULL CrossFit games are back in Madison to crown the Fittest on Earth. The games run from Aug. 3 through Aug. 7 at the Alliant Energy Center.
What should you expect? Traffic! These games bring thousands of people to Madison's restaurants, bars, and shops. Plan accordingly for increased travel times especially around Rimrock Road, Olin Avenue, and John Nolen Drive. Of note: The 100 block of State Street will be closed Thursday and Friday for an event.
Where can I watch? You can see the games live for yourself during various events at the Alliant Energy Center. (Note: these are ticketed events.) If you prefer to watch from home, there are plenty of streaming options too, all rounded up here via Men's Health magazine.
Anyone else suddenly feel the need to hit the gym? See ya there.
😷 Stay updated on monkeypox in Dane County.
- Looking to stay up on all the latest monkeypox news? Subscribe to the Public Health Madison and Dane County newsletter here.
- The bigger picture: Appointments for vaccinations have have been filling up fast. The state was given a limited supply of the vaccine from the federal government. As of Aug. 1, the DHS identified 22 cases of monkeypox in Wisconsin.
- Who's eligible for the vaccine? People who know a sexual partner was diagnosed with monkeypox within the last 14 days; People who attended an event or venue where there was known monkeypox exposure; Gay, bisexual, nonbinary and transgender people who have had multiple male sexual partners in the past 14 days.
🍸 Coming soon: Nitro.
- A new upscale cocktail lounge is coming to West Washington Ave. The owners, Courtney and Ace McCarty of Sun Prairie told the State Journal they hope to open the new spot by the end of the year.
- The new spot at 510 W. Washington Ave. will serve nitrogen-infused drinks in a space full of "elements of 1920s Art Deco and Art Nouveau styles such as penny tiles and glass tiles."
- Nitro will sell lighter food options but is looking to outside community partners to step in on that front. They also intend to partner with local distilleries like State Line and J. Henry & Sons for spirits.
🥕 Look! We made a map of all the farmers' markets! Cool!
- There are so many farmers' markets in Madison. But where are they? And when are they? Don't you wish someone organized that information for you in a digestible manner? Well besties, that's exactly what we did. Check out our interactive farmers' market map.
⚖️ Meet the candidates for Wisconsin Secretary of State.
- While it's not as glamorous of a race as the governor's or senate elections, the race for Wisconsin’s next secretary of state has potentially high stakes.
- Why? As the Badger Project writes, the three Republican candidates vying for the seat want to shift oversight of elections from the bipartisan Wisconsin Election Commission to the secretary of state’s office. Democrats see this effort expand the secretary of state’s powers as a possible threat to election integrity.
- Read up on the candidates running for the job here.
🎡 Headed to the state fair? Here's a look at what to try.
🏺 Your lunchtime read: The wheels are turning for pottery artist Shandra Bjyrd.
- Via Madison Magazine: "Shandra Bjyrd’s fascination with clay started at an early age, and her love for the medium has only grown over time.
In kindergarten at Madison’s Glendale Elementary School — recently renamed Dr. Virginia Henderson Elementary School — a seed was planted in Shandra Bjyrd’s mind, thanks to her art teacher.
Bjyrd’s teacher was a potter who kept a wheel and a kiln in his office. Even though she didn’t fully understand what these tools were, she was interested in knowing more. 'That seed kind of stayed there until I could take classes in high school,' she says."
UMOJA Magazine is the oldest African-American owned magazine in Wisconsin. For nearly 30-years, UMOJA Magazine has provided Dane County and the state with positive news about the Black and Brown community. The magazine features beautifully illustrated covers commissioned by local and national African-American artists.
Interested in advertising? Contact Tracy Anderson, Manager of Business Operations & Advertising, at email@example.com.
📅 Events: Tuesday, Aug. 2
- Aldo Leopold Park Reimagined Celebration at Aldo Leopold Park
- Opera at the Gardens at Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- YOUR Lunch Time LIVE: Yid Vicious at Wisconsin State Capitol
- DJ Goldiloxx at The Rigby
- Dragonfly Monitoring Walk at University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Terrace Open Mic at Memorial Union
📝 Miss a Minute? Check out yesterday's newsletter.
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
⏪ Miss a day? Catch up on past newsletters here.
📨 Need something else? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.