Happy Friday, Madison!
I've good good news and bad news this morning.
First, the good news. If you're looking for a monkeypox vaccine, Public Health Madison and Dane County is now scheduling appointments for next week and has "plenty of openings."
If you live in Dane County and meet the eligibility criteria, give them a call at (608) 243-0556 to set up an appointment.
Now, the bad news. Dane County has tipped from the “medium” category back into the “high” Covid-19 activity category.
What does this mean for you? PHMDC says the best possible way to keep protected from Covid-19 infection is to stay up to date on vaccinations and make sure you wear a well-fitting mask when indoors in public, regardless of vaccination status.
If you want to learn more about the numbers and metrics behind the community level ratings, PHMDC put together a nice explainer.
✅ Make sure your ballot counts.
- Provisional voters have until 4:00 p.m. today to return their ballots to the City Clerk's office. Be sure you bring your photo ID. Check here for a full list of accepted forms of identification.
🗳 Voter turnout for the primary was huge.
- Turnout in Wisconsin’s primary election this week hit nearly 26%, marking the highest for a non-presidential primary in 40 years. In 1982, voter turnout topped out at 26.9%. For comparison, turnout for the 2018 primary was 23%.
- The breakdown: AP reports the unofficial results of the primary show nearly 693,000 Republicans voted in the governor’s race and more than 501,000 Democrats voted in the Senate primary.
- Related: Money doesn't win in all Wisconsin statewide races (Cap Times), Wisconsin Sec. of State Doug La Follette barely campaigned, still won handily (Isthmus)
🚫 Watch out for these street closures.
- Starting Monday, Aug. 15, Observatory Drive will be fully closed to vehicular traffic in both directions between Easterday and Colwood Drive. With this closure, there will be no open east-to-west through route on campus so plan accordingly. The road will remain closed through Aug. 19.
- Starting Aug. 22, University Bay Drive will be closed at the intersection of University Avenue for railroad track replacement. The closure will last through Aug. 28.
📚 Looking for something to read but not sure where to start?
- The social media accounts of Room of One's Own bookstore are filled with whimsical flowcharts for those of us who would love to pick up a new book but have absolutely no idea where to start. Want to learn about abolition? There's a flow chart for that. What about sci-fi? There's a chart for that. Something gay, perhaps? You can bet there are several charts for that.
📻 You could be the next host of “A Public Affair.”
- WORT is looking for its next talk show host. A Public Affair is the station's daily hour long call-in talk program, "which aims to engage listeners in a conversation on social, cultural, and political issues of importance."
- WORT is currently looking for a Monday host. If chatting with people on air sounds like fun to you, check out all the details and consider applying.
- The application deadline is Monday, Aug. 29. Note: This isn't a paid opportunity.
🍔 For funsies: Kids in Oregon are lining up toy cars in anticipation of the arrival of the city's first Culver's.
- It's pretty cute. Check out the photos and story from the Wisconsin State Journal.
🏫 Your lunchtime read: ‘An impossible situation:’ Members leaving school boards amid politicization, divisiveness.
- Via Cap Times: "Rick Grothaus graduated from Oconomowoc public schools in 1978.
He came back and taught in Oconomowoc public schools from 1984 to 1987.
After retiring from a school administrator position in a nearby district, he ran for the Oconomowoc School Board, winning one of two seats in April 2020. Soon after, his fellow board members elected him board president.
Less than 14 months later — not even halfway through his term — he and two of his colleagues resigned from the board together, citing a lack of good faith collaboration, the growing prevalence of “culture wars” and the majority’s response to the pandemic."
🦠 Covid-19 update
🔗 Related links
- Get your free Covid-19 tests from the government here.
- Read the CDC's new guidance here.
- We Hit "High" Again: What Does That Mean? (PHMDC)
🐶 Friday Floof
Happy Friday, y'all! Let's get floofy. Meet Tank. He's a one year old English Lab living, laughing, and loving on the west side of Madison. This cutie loves wheelbarrow rides and following his baby (human) sister everywhere. But let's be honest, who wouldn't want a face like that following them around?!
📅 Events: Ladies and gentlemen, the weekend
- All Ages Improv Show @ Wil-Mar Center at Wil-Mar Neighborhood Center
- Archers at The Annex
- The Best Westerns at The Bur Oak
- The Criticals with Abi Arkley at Memorial Union
- Dane Dances at Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center
- Eliel & NEMO & Venezia & Victoria Lynn at Liquid Madison
- Madison Contemporary Dance Collaboration Project at Garver Feed Mill
- Mile Twelve at Kiki's House of Righteous Music
- MySpace Emo Prom at Majestic Madison
- Pre-Great Taste Party! at Dark Horse Artbar
- Virtual Drink & Draw August at Wisconsin Veterans Museum
- VO5 at Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center
- Anders Svanoe Trio - Mantis at Cafe CODA
- CeCe & Power Up & Spookybro & ULK at Liquid Madison
- Chicago Cellar Boys at McPike Park
- Corey Mathew Hart at The Biergarten at Olbrich Park
- Full Moon Night Walk and Stargazing at UW Arboretum
- Lady Denim and Leland Blue at Memorial Union
- Making Movies at McPike Park
- Middleton Book Fair at Capital Brewery
- Razia Said at McPike Park
- Spooke & Dj Vic at Ruby Madison
- Able Baker with Null Device at Memorial Union
- Corey Mathew Hart at Karben4 Brewing
- Drag Bingo at The Rigby
- DRAG BRUNCH! Hosted by Bryanna Banx at The Bur Oak
- Kiki's presents Ybbor Skluf at Kiki's House of Righteous Music
- Madison Comic Con at Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center
- Red Green Blue Tour at The Sylvee
📝 Miss a Minute? Check out yesterday's newsletter.
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
⏪ Want more Minutes? Catch up on past newsletters here.
💙 Did a friend forward you this? Sign up for our email newsletters here.
📨 Need something else? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.