Gooooood morning, Madison!
Today marks the start of early voting in Madison.
Early voting — also called in-person absentee voting — runs from Oct. 25 through Nov. 6. There are dozens of early voting locations and times available throughout town. You can check out the full list of locations here.
What's the purpose of early voting? In-person absentee voting can be a simple and efficient way to cast a ballot for many people. You can also register to vote at any absentee voting location through Nov. 4. To do that, you'll need proof of residence.
Just like Election Day, you'll need the proper ID to vote. Here is a list of acceptable photo IDs for voting.
Have other questions about casting your vote in the upcoming election? Check out our voting guide.
📣 Hundreds protested a fascist, anti-trans speech on campus.
- Who? Conservative commentator Matt Walsh stopped by the UW-Madison campus Monday to discuss his film What is a Woman (2022), which critics have called transphobic and homophobic.
- The news: On Monday morning, Alumni Park and Memorial Union were found tagged with anti-Walsh graffiti. According to news reports, some messages targeted Walsh and his anti-trans beliefs and others criticized the group that brought him to campus. The university is working with police to investigate the incident.
- Before the event, hundreds of UW students and community members rallied outside of Memorial Union to protest the speech.
- Some context: Walsh's presence was a matter of controversy before he got to campus. Earlier this month, a Gender & Women’s Studies Department teaching assistant filed a bias report for an incident in which the bulletin boards in the department were found covered in posters for the event.
🎨 Local artists are boycotting MMoCA's Gallery Night with their own Artists' Night.
- Some context: Every year the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art hosts a "Gallery Night" to highlight the city's arts community by hosting exhibitions, opening receptions, special events, and demonstrations at venues throughout town. Fall 2022 Gallery Night will be held Nov 4.
- This year, artists who took part in MMoCA's troubled Triennial exhibit are boycotting the event by hosting their own event this weekend dubbed "Artists' Night."
- The counter event, put on with the help of East-side arts space Communication, will take place this Friday, "in solidarity with the artists of the Wisconsin Triennial."
🍝 Hilldale's newest restaurant opens today.
- It's called Amara and it comes from the same group that owns Lucille and Merchant on the Square. The new spot will serve Italian-inspired cuisine.
- Amara takes over the space that was formerly home to Pasqual’s Cantina, which announced a move to Middleton in 2021 after 14 years.
😻 Happy Take Me Home Tuesday! Meet Moj Kot.
- Via Dane County Humane Society: Moj Kot is an adult female cat who starts out shy and hides, but once she becomes comfortable, she seeks out pets. She will bump and tap you with her paw to give her pets and more pets. Moj Kot is a great biscuit maker, and she is very sweet and enjoys treats.
She's looking for a patient family who will provide her with a number of hiding spots while she gets acclimated to her new surroundings. Once comfortable, she'll be your best friend!
Moj Kot has been at DCHS a bit, so she’s a member of the Lonely Hearts Club and her adoption fee has been reduced.
She is currently making biscuits in a staff member's office, so ask for her in the Adoption Center. To learn more about Moj Kot, click here.
🎃 Looking for plans this Halloween weekend?
- Even though Freakfest is canceled (for better or worse, depending on who you ask), there are plenty of events happening around town this weekend. From concerts and shows, to trick-or-treating on the Square, there's something for all.
🚴 Your lunchtime read: Madison man’s cross-country bicycle trip winds through a surprisingly United States.
- Via Madison Magazine: "It’s not like Kristin Haugen-Wente couldn’t have seen it coming.
In summer 2021, she brought home a magazine she thought her husband, John Haugen-Wente, might enjoy looking through. It was called Adventure Cyclist.
The couple met in a Colorado ski town and moved together to Kristin’s home city of Madison in 1987. John is an avid outdoorsman, sailor, wilderness canoeist and bicyclist. He has also shown a willingness to embrace activities not altogether tethered to rational thought."
- Christopher Houlihan, Organ at Overture Center
- Dopapod at High Noon Saloon
- David Gresham at Hamel Music Center
- Lucid Tuesday at Crucible
- Photo Affair 2022 at Madison Museum of Contemporary Art
- 2022 Downtown Madison Family Halloween - Official at Downtown Madison
- Baby's First Halloween at Madison Children's Museum
- Blue Note Ensemble & Contemporary Jazz Ensemble at Hamel Music Center
- Crucible Karaoke at Crucible
- Microcinema Exchange: Notes on the Hinterland at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Hocus Pocus at the Top of State Street
- Nerd Nite at High Noon Saloon
- Pocket Vinyl, Meggie Shays, Candace Griffin, Maddie Blaze of LINE at The Bur Oak
- Politics & Policy with Nate Silver at UW Memorial Union