Happy Monday, Madison!
It's almost time to vote. Are you ready? Here's a few last-minute tips from our friends at the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin.
Second, check your voter registration status. If you aren’t registered or need to update your address, no worries! Wisconsin has Election Day registration. Just make sure you bring a proof of residence document.
Third, visit VOTE411.org to see what’s on your ballot and learn about the candidates.
Finally, before you head out the door tomorrow, make sure you grab a photo ID.
🗳Milwaukee will host the 2024 Republican National Convention.
- Officials announced last Friday that Wisconsin's largest city will host the 2024 RNC and the roughly 50,000 attendees the event draws.
- The bigger picture: As WPR reports, the move is an effort by Republicans to win back Wisconsin after Democratic President Joe Biden narrowly defeated Republican Donald Trump in the 2020 Presidential Election. Milwaukee was selected to host the Democratic National Convention in 2020, which was ultimately held online because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
🚊 Street closure of note: Marshall Court.
- The Marshall Court railroad track crossing near University Avenue is getting replaced. Starting next Monday, Aug. 15, the crossing will be closed through Sunday, Aug. 21.
💉 The latest on monkeypox in Dane County.
- Following new guidance from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Public Health Madison and Dane County 75 new appointments to its monkeypox vaccine clinic this week.
- According to DHS, in Wisconsin, vaccination is now recommended for people who had known exposure to someone with monkeypox and people with certain risk factors who are more likely to be exposed to the virus.
- A national issue: The Biden administration declared the monkeypox outbreak a national health emergency last week, freeing up federal money and resources to help curb the illness's spread.
🍻 Raise a glass to Prost!
- A new German-style beer hall is set to open in time for Oktoberfest on East Washington Avenue, Cap Times reports.
- Prost!, located at a former church at 401 E. Washington Ave., intends to cater to larger parties, with tables that can accommodate 10 or more. The menu will feature sausages, schnitzel, cheese curds, of course, oversized pretzels with house-made beer-cheese sauce.
- Owner Brian Reynolds hopes to have the restaurant open seven days a week, with weekend brunches and Friday lunches. Reynolds told Cap Times he hopes to have the new spot open in September.
- Related: 10 Madison-area biergartens (Madison Magazine)
🔞 The west side says no to sex toys.
- More than 100 people attended a virtual community meeting last week to discuss a new adult store opening on the city's southwest side.
- Romantix is a nation-wide chain of adult toy and entertainment stores. The new store will be located in an old Family Video on the corner of Maple Grove Drive and McKee Road and will be the company's first location in Wisconsin, WORT reports.
- Some people on the call expressed concerns over the store's location in a residential area and proximity to the bus line. Despite those concerns, Romantix has already cleared all legal hoops with the city and is expected to open Aug. 19.
- Via Isthmus: "There’s no such thing as a safe path in Steven Wright’s debut novel, 2020’s The Coyotes of Carthage.
The book’s not strictly classifiable as a legal thriller — there is no courtroom drama, no big 11th-hour save. It might better be described as a politically savvy exploration of the current state of electoral shenanigans in the U.S. And as political operators nationwide continue to spread misinformation and exploit loopholes to manipulate elections, it’s only become more timely since its publication."
- That’s right: a drawing of your rump! Treat yourself or someone special to a one-of-a-kind portrait of your butt.
- Use coupon code “MadisonMinutes” for free shipping on your next RADillustrates order.
Has the fall of Roe v. Wade impacted your decisions about family planning? Tell us.
We've partnered with Tone Madison to produce a survey that will help us better understand and offer our readers a fuller picture of how the ruling is affecting people across the Madison area. Learn more and take the survey here.
📅 Events: Monday, Aug. 8
- Blue Crush (2002) at Memorial Union
- Book Talk with John McManus - Island Infernos: The US Army's Pacific War Odyssey, 1944 at Wisconsin Veterans Museum
- Celtic Music Association presents The Friel Sisters at Lakeside St. Coffee House
- Madison Comedy Week at multiple venues
- The Moth Madison StorySLAM: HAPPY at High Noon Saloon
- Open Mic Comedy Night at The Bur Oak
- Restless Anna album Release Party at High Noon Saloon
- Family Night on Lake Mendota at Memorial Union
- Olbrich Gardens' Summer Concerts at Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Summer Concert Series at Winnequah Park
- YOUR Lunch Time LIVE at Wisconsin State Capitol
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
⏪ Miss a day? Catch up on past newsletters here.
💙 Did a friend forward you this? Sign up for our email newsletters here.
📨 Need something else? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.