Here's what you need to know today.
In this newsletter
☀️ Today's weather: Partly sunny and warm. High: 80° Low: 64°
Happy Friday, Madison!
Culver's has a new merch store.
The fast food chain has flirted with time-limited merch a few times before, but this time, the online store is permanent.
Would you like a branded mug? Some burger stickers? Maybe a new dog toy?
The Butterburger Boutique has you covered.
🎒 MMSD's lunches aren't meeting anybody's expectations this year.
- Teachers and parents are expressing alarm at the quality of school lunches, with some parents saying their children have been fed pizza every single day so far this school year.
- School leaders acknowledge that the lunches are subpar, but also say they meet nutritional requirements. They say they're working to improve the lunches, but are so short on staff that they're only able to offer "pre-packaged foods or foods that can be prepared quickly, such as frozen pizza," the State Journal reports.
🥁 A new Kids in the Rotunda series starts next month.
- The free music series from the Overture Center is designed for children ages nine and younger and features “a diverse lineup of local, regional and national performers.”
- Performances start October 1 and are scheduled for most Saturdays through April 2023.
🏢 A bystander with Narcan was able to revive someone who overdosed downtown earlier this week.
- According to a police incident report, a bystander was able to revive the person, who was unconscious, by administering Narcan Tuesday afternoon.
- Narcan is a drug that can reverse an overdose from opioids, including heroin, fentanyl, and prescription opioid medications.
- You do not need a medical license to carry or administer Narcan. Here's where you can find it locally.
- Related: Parisi proposes $740,000 initiative to address opiate, fentanyl crisis
🗳️ These political races are going to be close.
- Here’s what the latest Marquette Law School Poll found:
- U.S. Senate race: 49% of “likely voters” would vote to re-elect Republican Senator Ron Johnson while 48% favor Mandela Barnes, his Democratic challenger.
- Governor’s race: 47% of “likely voters” support Democratic Gov. Tony Evers, while 44% favor Republican Tim Michels.
- If you’re super interested in polling, consider attending this WisPolitics polling event on September 29. Admission is $59, and guests will include polling directors for CNN, The Associated Press, and Marquette Law School.
🎨 Your lunchtime read: Plein air painters capture beautiful landscapes on canvas
- “Once you’ve painted outdoors for a while, it’s so much better than being in a studio to me,” says Gilbert, who is joined by a handful of other artists who have met at Vilas Park for a Dane County Plein Air Painters outing. They’re painting en plein air, which is a French expression meaning “in the open air.” Plein air painting dates back to the 1800s and became a fundamental element of impressionism.
📅 Events: The weekend
- The Astronomers & Emmett Mulrooney at The Bur Oak
- Badger Meet-Up at Below Alumni Center
- Cargo Music Presents: Jeffrey James & Kelly Hepper at Cargo Coffee
- Erath Old at Red Rock Saloon
- Opening Reception for Faisal Abdu'Allah: "DARK MATTER" at Madison Museum of Contemporary Art
- Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021) screening at Goodman South Madison Library
- Good Corners (cassette release) + Medlén at Dark Horse Artbar
- Live On King St: Karl Denson's Tiny Universe at Live on King Street
- Madison Contemporary Dance Collaboration Project at Garver Feed Mill
- Tone Madison Office Hours at Giant Jones Brewing Company
- WORT & WISCO's Willy St. Fair Warm-up ROCK SHOW! at The Wisco
- All Ages Improv Show (@ Harmony Bar) at Harmony Bar & Grill
- Badger Bash: Wisconsin vs. New Mexico State at Union South
- Chet Faker at Majestic Theatre
- Darren Sterud's New Orleans Tribute at Cafe CODA
- Fetch 5K Dog Jog & Fun Walk at Octopi
- Indigo Dye with Jen Falkowski at Monona Public Library
- Joyner Lucas: ADHD Tour at The Sylvee
- Madison Odd Market 2022 at Crucible
- Pocket Circus with Teatro Verde at Madison Children's Museum
- September Watershed Reading at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Willy Street Fair at Willy Street Park
- 14th Annual Bike the Barns at Lake Farm County Park
- The Big Big Comedy Show at The Bur Oak
- Bike the Barns at Lake Farm County Park
- Gardenwerk: School's in session! at Hilton Garden Inn Madison Downtown
- Live Jazz Series at The Cider Farm Tasting Room with Helen & Anthony at The Cider Farm
- Mimmi Fulmer at Hamel Music Center
- MJS Presents Cornet Chop Suey at Funk's Pub
- Nature Hike at University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Orientations: A Reading from Tension Zones Collective Daybook at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Sunday Brunch Jazz Piano with Dave Stoler at Cafe CODA
- Viva Mexico Festival at Breese Stevens Field
- William Elliott Whitmore at The Bur Oak
- Willy Street Fair at Willy Street Park
🐶 Friday Floof
It's a double Friday floof! How did we get so lucky?
Everyone say hi to Teddy (left) and Buddy (right). Are these two brothers playing or fighting? It's hard to tell. I feel the same way about me and my siblings sometimes...
😸 Do you have a floof to share with the Madison Minutes community? Fill out this form for the opportunity to be featured.
📝 Miss a Minute? Check out yesterday's newsletter.
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
⏪ Miss a day? Catch up on past newsletters here.
💙 Did a friend forward you this? Sign up for our email newsletters here.
📨 Need something else? Email us at email@example.com.