Happy Friday, Madison.
Whether you sprinted or crawled to through the week, we've finally made it to the end.
It's always nice to wrap up the week on a high note, so here's mine. Earlier this week our office got a little upgrade in the form of a new window decal.
In the scheme of things, this isn't groundbreaking news. But for a business that started roughly 14 month ago without much of a plan and no idea what was to come, this was pretty huge for us.
Thanks to all of you who support us, whether you've been with us since yesterday or day one, we wouldn't be where we are without you.
Now let's get on to the news.
🏥 PHMDC is expanding its reproductive health services.
- In response to the U.S. Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v. Wade, Public Health Madison & Dane County will increase staff and expand hours and services offered at its Sexual and Reproductive Health clinic.
- Currently, the clinic operates on a part-time basis and offers STI testing, birth control, and emergency contraception at low or no cost.
- The county has allocated roughly $360,000 toward the effort and the expanded services are set to begin this fall. Beyond 2022, funding for the work will be paid jointly by the city and county.
💕 These local businesses are supporting abortion access through Pink Out Week.
- State Rep. Francesca Hong and members of two local culinary collectives have declared July 16–24 as Pink Out Week in Madison. The week will include an array of special events, including a political roundtable, documentary film screening, bake sale, brewery pizza night, and a six-course dinner event.
- Funds raised throughout the week will benefit the Foundation for Black Women’s Wellness, Emily’s List, and Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin.
- You can check out the full list of events and specials here.
🕳️ So long, sinkhole.
- The city has repaired a large sinkhole on Regent Street caused by a water main leak.
- Cap Times reports the sinkhole was roughly 15 feet deep and stretched nearly 22 feet wide below the roadway's surface. Thankfully, no sinkhole-related injuries were reported.
🍻 Meet Borough Beer Co.
- The new brewpub opened on Park Street July 1 in the former home of Rockhound Brewing Co.
- Owner Gaston Solis and his team named the spot “Borough” after being inspired by a partner’s trip to New York and Madison's many neighborhoods, Cap Times writes.
- The brewpub serves classic tavern-style apps (think cheese curds, onion rings, poutine, etc.) and more contemporary dishes as well, like Brussels sprouts with candied bacon, fish tacos, and kale salad. They also do brunch.
💸 Crypto for charity?
- The River Food Pantry is now accepting donations in the form of cryptocurrency. The move is an effort to allow donors to have more ways to give, NBC15 reports. The future is now.
✈️ Your lunchtime read: Ordinary everyday pilots taking flight in Madison.
- Via Madison Magazine: "Piloting an airplane is something most of us will never do in our lifetimes. But of the roughly 609,000 certified pilots in the United States, more than 80% are flying general aviation aircraft. Many are civilians flying for recreation, work or personal travel, or the simple pleasure of floating among the clouds. Here in the Madison area, the aviation community says that if you’ve ever been curious about becoming a pilot, they’d love to take you up in the air."
🏋See you at the 2022 NOBULL CrossFit Games
- Keep your eyes open Aug. 3-7 in Olin Park for the CrossFit Games welcome sign (hint: it makes for an excellent selfie spot).
- Don’t miss out on one of your last opportunities to see the Fittest on Earth compete in Madison. Want a sneak peak of the action? Check out #SeeYouInMadison on Instagram to see how the world’s most elite athletes are preparing for the Games.
- Want to learn more? Destination Madison has you covered.
- Ready to secure your spot? Buy your tickets now.
🐶 Friday Floof
Everyone say hello to Care Bear! This cutie is a 9(ish) year old Australian Cattle Dog mix from Stoughton by way of Albert's Dog Lounge Rescue. Put simply, she's a lover and a fighter. As a senior dog with special needs, Care Bear's human Betsy says despite the hardship she's been through in life, Care Bear is a total sweetheart.
"I try to get Care Bear's story out there as much as I can to encourage people to adopt senior and special needs dogs," Betsy said in an email. "They need homes, too, and have usually had to overcome so much in their short lives. Care Bear has overcome heartworms, an ovarian tumor, and being shot with a shotgun. Yet she is the sweetest, most loving dog you'll ever meet."
Consider my heart officially melted.
📅 Events: The weekend
La Fete de Marquette / Musique Electronique
Today-Sunday | McPike Park | Free
Maxwell Street Days
Today– Sunday | State Street | Free admission
State Street's summer sidewalk sale. Discounts, expanded outdoor café dining experiences, live music, special activities and more.
Biergarten at San Damiano
Today| 5-8 p.m. | Free admission
Remember that beautiful, 10-acre lakefront property that the city of Monona took over last year? Well you can drink beer there for one! night! only!!!! In addition to beer sales, there will also be food trucks, yard games, live music, & tours of the historic on-site mansion. Cash-only event.
Live on King Street: Tank and The Bangas
Today| 7 p.m. | Free
This funky band from New Orleans won NPR’s Tiny Desk Contest in 2017.
Saturday | 6 p.m. | Overture | $45+
Soul superstar Gladys Knight will sing hits from throughout her career in this benefit concert for The Boys & Girls Clubs of Dane County.
JBC Public Cupping
Saturday | 10 a.m. | JBC Coffee Roasters | $20
Opportunity to try new offerings coming to JBC's lineup.
A Dance Party Tribute to Harry Styles and Friends
Saturday | The Majestic | 8 p.m. | $7
DJ Femme Noir and DJ Avalon are teaming up to spin hits from Harry Styles and his collaborators. Ages 21+.
Communication 4th Anniversary Celebration
Saturday and Sunday | Multiple event times, separately ticketed
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
⏪ Miss a day? Catch up on past newsletters here.
📨 Need something else? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.