Gooooood morning, Madison!
In case you missed it, we announced some exciting news last week.
We’re excited to announce that Bank of Sun Prairie is Madison Minutes' first presenting advertising sponsor.
What does that mean? Starting soon, we'll publish financial wellness columns from the experts at Bank of Sun Prairie. This partnership allows the bank to share high-quality financial advice while also promoting the value of local community banks. All content from advertising partners will be clearly labeled on our website and newsletters.
It should go without saying that this is huge for all of us. This partnership brings Madison Minutes one step closer to financial stability, something all small businesses dream of. We can't wait for what's next!
🚨 Speed limit adjustments are going into effect on Mineral Point Road today.
- As part of the city's Vision Zero initiative, the speed limit on the section of Mineral Point Road from South Whitney Way to the Beltline will decrease from 40 mph to 35 mph.
- What is Vision Zero? It's a city-wide initiative to eliminate traffic deaths and severe injuries on city streets by 2035. Already this year this city has implemented speed reductions along portions of East Washington Avenue and John Nolen Drive.
✈️ The Dane County Airport expansion is halfway done.
- Some context: The Dane County Regional Airport is undergoing a 90,000-square-foot expansion that will bring a new restaurant, retail stores, and six new gates to the airport.
- Channel 3000 reports the $85 million expansion is now halfway complete and the first phase of construction will be done by January 2023. The airport broke ground on the project in June 2021 and expects the whole thing will be complete by next summer.
- Related (and cute): Therapy dogs return to Dane County airport after pandemic pause (Channel 3000)
🍼 Mapping Madison's public lactation spaces.
- There are dozens of spaces throughout the city for breastfeeding parents to feed their babies, but those spaces aren't always clearly marked or advertised. Thankfully, Public Health Madison and Dane County created a detailed map of places to pump across the isthmus. We published that map along with other relevant resources here.
💪 IRONMAN is coming and needs hundreds of volunteers.
- The 20th Wisconsin IRONMAN will be held on the isthmus Sept. 11 and Destination Madison needs about 1,000 more volunteers to help ensure the event runs smoothly. This year, the triathlon will be proceeded by a half IRONMAN the day before, where volunteers are also needed, NBC15 reports.
- The numbers: IRONMAN participants must complete a 2.4 mile swim in Lake Monona, a 112 mile bike ride through the county, and finish off the race with a 26.2 mile run through the city. It takes more than 3,500 volunteers to bring the event to life.
- Want to help? Check out all the volunteer options here.
🎨 Meet Central Library's new artist in residence.
- Who is she? Audifax is a self-taught artist known for her murals, street art, and sculptures. Her work often includes bold colors, calligraphy, and photo-realistic subjects.
- Audifax will host open studio hours every Tuesday in September at Madison's Central Library as its newest artist in residence. She'll be working on setting up a "Community Intention Collaborative Mural" project on the wall across from The Bubbler Room for library patrons to interact with.
🐟 Your lunchtime read: Friday night fish frys define Wisconsin. What happens when climate change adjusts the menu?
- Via Grist: "Wisconsin lakes are warming and becoming more hospitable to invasive species and extreme weather conditions thanks to a global rise in temperature, challenging the future of this statewide ritual. Commonly fried fish species like perch, lake trout, and whitefish have declined, causing Wisconsin restaurants to look beyond their own lakes for certain fish, or abandon some altogether.
Two Great Lakes — Michigan and Superior — touch Wisconsin’s shores and have experienced a steady rise in temperature since 1995. Even the deepest depths of the lake system are starting to warm up and the average maximum ice cover on the Great Lakes has dropped over 20 percent in the last 50 years."
👀 Got a sec?
We want to make our community events calendar even better and would like your input. Take this quick survey to help us out.
📅 Events: Monday
- Best of Madison Taste Party at The Edgewater
- Monday Matinee: Mission Impossible - Fallout at Monona Public Library
- Ocean's 11 (2001) at Memorial Union
- Open Mic Comedy Night at The Bur Oak
- Whorticulture & Solar Fake at Crucible
- 2022 City/County Meet & Greet
- Crystal Bowersox at The Bur Oak
- Family Night on Lake Mendota at Memorial Union
- YOUR Lunch Time LIVE at Wisconsin State Capitol
📣 Want to help spread the word?
We've created a flyer to promote our free email newsletters. We're posting it around town, but we could use your help, too!
We're making the flyer available to download so you can post it wherever you want. Here's some ideas:
- Apartment lobbies
- Break rooms at work
- Public bathrooms
- Private bathrooms
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
⏪ Miss a day? Catch up on past newsletters here.
💙 Did a friend forward you this? Sign up for our email newsletters here.
📨 Need something else? Email us at email@example.com.