Have any thoughts?
Morning update: Thursday, Aug. 18
In this newsletter
Good morning, Madison!
Hopefully by now you've noticed (and maybe even clicked on) the family planning survey we've included in the newsletter for the past two-ish weeks. If you haven't, or if you're new here (hi!), here's a quick reminder of what it's all about.
We've partnered with the folks at Tone Madison to produce a survey that will help us better understand and offer our readers a fuller picture of how the U.S. Supreme Court's Dobbs ruling is affecting people across the Madison area.
Our main question: Has the fall of Roe v. Wade impacted your decisions about family planning?
If you have thoughts, tell us! If you have friends who might have thoughts, pass it along (and tell them to subscribe to Madison Minutes while you're at it).
The survey will be open through Monday Aug. 22.
🌮 Adios, Eldorado Grill.
- Local restaurant group behemoth Food Fight announced Eldorado Grill on Willy Street will close at the end of the month.
- Why? Mainly because of pandemic setbacks. The restaurant never managed to find its footing within the carryout scene that exploded in the early days of the pandemic and, as Cap Times reports, Eldorado did not receive any Restaurant Revitalization Funds that other Food Fight restaurants did.
- What's next? Food Fight’s newest endeavor is Manny’s Parkside, located in Manitowish Waters. It's the group's first restaurant outside of the greater Madison area. Madison Magazine also reports the group – which owns and operates 18 restaurants in the Madison area – has plans to open two new restaurants in 2023.
🚫 577 guns are off the streets.
- That's how many guns the Dane County Sheriff’s Office collected at its first gun buyback event over the weekend.
- In total, 577 weapons and about 380 pounds of ammunition were surrendered in exchange for $43,380 in gift cards for gas and groceries.
🛍️ From Odana to Atomic Antiques.
- A new antique store on Verona Road will be home to some familiar faces. Atomic Antiques, which specializes in mid-century modern collections, will employ most of the employees and house many of the vendors currently at Odana Antiques.
- If you'll recall: Odana Antiques announced it will close Sept. 16 when owner Sue Duncan retires. The State Journal reports Duncan has sold the 45,000-square-foot store at 6201 Odana Road for $3 million to Habitat for Humanity of Dane County.
- If you want to check out the new spot at 4546 Verona Rd., Atomic Antiques is hosting a grand opening celebration Aug. 19-21.
🥕 You can still drop off your food scraps.
- Sustain Dane's farmers' market food scrap collection is halfway through its first season. In total, the program has collected over 3,600 pounds of scraps for recycling and composting.
- Want to participate? Bring your food scraps to Sustain Dane’s farmers’ market table on Tuesdays at the South Madison or Eastside market. The program is completely free and runs through Oct. 25.
- Where's the farmers' market? We've got you covered. Check out our interactive map here.
💉 Prepping for monkeypox on campus.
- With the start of classes right around the corner, colleges across the state are working to get ahead of the rare but serious monkeypox disease. WPR reports UW-Madison is offering testing and vaccines for eligible groups and is working to keep the campus community informed through communication campaigns.
- Currently, UW-Madison is the only university in the state that's an approved vaccinator, but that's likely to change.
- As of Aug. 17, DHS reports 47 monkeypox cases have been confirmed in Wisconsin.
- Related watch: Dr. Ryan Westergaard on fighting the spread of monkeypox (PBS Wisconsin)
🚌 Your lunchtime read: The bumpy road to electric buses in Madison.
- Via Cap Times: "In the summer of 2020, Madison’s first electric buses arrived in the city thanks to a $1.3 million grant from the federal government.
Madison Metro Transit was one of 50 agencies to receive a share of the funds from the Federal Transit Administration’s Low or No-Emission $55 million grant, leading the way in not only the state but the country.
Over two years later, the three electric buses are sitting in a warehouse."
Has the fall of Roe v. Wade impacted your decisions about family planning? Tell us.
We've partnered with Tone Madison to produce a survey that will help us better understand and offer our readers a fuller picture of how the ruling is affecting people across the Madison area. Learn more and take the survey here.
📅 Events: Thursday
- Able Baker and New Primals with The Nile Club and Mickey Sunshine at High Noon Saloon
- Combo Noir at The Bur Oak
- Concerts in the Park at Rennebohm Park
- Cork 'N' Bottle String Band at Memorial Union
- Family Concert with Ken Lonnquist and Friends at Madison Children's Museum
- gener8tor 10th Anniversary Celebration at Great Hall (Memorial Union)
- History of UW Madison Sports at Vista West
- LIVE & Local at Lisa Link Peace Park
- Marta Hansen at Salvatore's Tomato Pies
- Revolver Open Mic Comedy at The Rigby
- Thursday's Happier Hour at High Noon Saloon
- Town of Madison Attachment Public Information Meeting at Arbor Covenant Church
- Vandoliers & Lilly Hiatt at McPike Park
- Acoustic Happy Hour Ft. Adem Tesfaye at Garver Events
- Bill Roberts Combo at McPike Park
- The Bodega at Breese Stevens Field
- Boom Forest & Foreign Fields at The Bur Oak
- Brett Westgrove Music at Red Rock Saloon
- Cheshire cat Comedy Show at The Brink Lounge
- Dane Dances at Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center
- Family Happy Hour in the Wonderground at Madison Children's Museum
- Foreign Fields + Boom Forest at The Bur Oak
- Joshua Powell at BarleyPop Live
- Laminal Animil at Cafe CODA
- Live Summer Music Series at Capital Brewery at Capital Brewery
- Manor, Shigley, and Thornburg at Memorial Union
- Movies with Madison Parks - Frozen II
- Schenk's Corners Block Party 2022
- West Coast Acoustic Tour at Come Back In
- The Wiseguys & The Apollos & Jason Vargas at Liquid Madison
📝 Miss a Minute? Check out yesterday's newsletter.
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
⏪ Miss a day? Catch up on past newsletters here.
💙 Did a friend forward you this? Sign up for our email newsletters here.
📨 Need something else? Email us at email@example.com.