Let's fly away
Morning update: Monday, Dec. 19
In this newsletter
Good morning, Madison!
Traveling around the holidays can be a lot to manage. The Dane County Regional Airport is trying to soothe your stress levels this season with music.
If you're flying out of MSN this week, expect to see and hear holiday cheer. The airport has brought back its "Holiday Tunes in the Terminal" for in-person shows.
Local music groups will hold performances in the airport’s main terminal through Thursday, singing classic holiday music while eager passengers say silent prayers for their bags to be under the airline's weight limit.
👑 From UW-Madison to Miss America.
- UW senior nuclear engineering student Grace Stanke was crowned Miss America 2023 last week.
- The Wausau native was crowned Miss Wisconsin 2022 in June. Stanke is only the third Miss Wisconsin to win the Miss America title in the contest’s history.
- Related: Engineer vying for Miss America uses platform to show women can succeed in male-dominated fields (WPR)
❄️ Don't over salt it.
- The city has rolled out a new ordinance to limit the amount of salt you can use to clear ice from sidewalks.
- What's new: Under the new rules, property owners can only use enough salt (or other chemical melting agents) to remove the snow and ice. Any salt or melting agents that remain must be removed after everything has melted, otherwise you may face a fine.
- Why change? The new rule is meant to help keep sidewalks safe for pedestrians and cut down community salt use, which helps our waterways.
🎨 Meet Artsy Fartsy on Monroe Street.
- A mother-daughter duo has teamed up to open an arts and home gift shop with an emphasis on locally and consciously sourced products, bold colors, and community.
- Jeanette and daughter Alisson Burda opened Artsy Fartsy at 1717 Monroe St. over the summer. The two have spent more than a decade selling artwork at Art Fair on the Square and other markets around the midwest.
- Hot tip: According to Madison Magazine, the shop gives a 10% discount to people who work in the education and mental health fields.
🎓 Congrats to the winter class of 2022.
- Winter commencement for UW-Madison was Sunday and the midyear graduation ceremony for Madison College was Thursday
- More than 1,200 graduates attended UW's ceremony where journalist and creator of “Manitowoc Minute” Charlie Berens gave the keynote speech. Berens is a 2009 UW grad.
- This commencement ceremony also marked the first for new Chancellor Jennifer Mnookin, who's been in the role since August.
- In all, UW anticipates awarding 1,758 doctoral, master’s, and bachelor’s degrees this winter. And as for Madison College, 1,275 students received associates degrees.
🧀 Your lunchtime read: Sister act.
- Via Isthmus: "Despite its name, the Madison-based 'Curd Girl' cheese curd cart is under the ownership of not one, but three girls — sisters — who became owners when they were only 12, 17 and 18 years old.
Customers regularly tell the sisters that the name should be changed to 'Curd Girls.' Alejandra Butcher-Salazar, the oldest of the sisters, says their response is always 'We know.'"
- Curb Your Holiday Shopping Habits With These Tips
- Don’t Waste Your Flexible Spending Account Dollars
- Budgeting 101
- Best Ways to Save for a Home Without Even Noticing
- Want to learn more? Bank of Sun Prairie's Financial Fitness Center offers 50+ digital short courses in English and Spanish.
- A Very Kitschy Christmas with MELVIS at The Bur Oak
- Artists vs Writers at Working Draft Beer Company
- Full Service - A Crucible Service Industry Night at Crucible
- Mondays at Mom's Comedy Mic at Mom's Bar
- Rigby-oke at The Rigby
- Season of Light - December Public Shows at MMSD Planetarium
- COMEDY BOOM! Hosted by Will Byrd at The Bur Oak
- Vinyl Night at Delta Beer Lab
- General Trivia at The Rigby
- Weekly Meditation Classes with AUDIFAX at Central Library