See Lady Liberty on Lake Mendota
Today is the start of the Wisconsin Union's annual Winter Carnival.
In this newsletter
Happy Monday, friends!
Today is the start of the Wisconsin Union’s annual Winter Carnival.
The long-standing tradition features a full week of events from mindful snowshoeing and taffy making to live music, and of course, the Madison version of Lady Liberty.
There’s still more fun to be had this winter! If you need some inspiration, we’ve got you covered.
🤎 Celebrating Black History Month in Madison.
- February is Black History Month and there are plenty of opportunities to celebrate and observe the occasion around the city..
- At the library: Madison Public Library is hosting a full month of programming. One highlight is the Friday movie screenings at Goodman South Madison Library, which will feature films focused on Black stories throughout the month.
- On the UW campus: The theme of UW-Madison's celebration is Black Arts: Multiple Mediums, One Story. Throughout the month, the university is hosting an array of events that includes art exhibits, panels, performances, and more.
- At Madison College: The opening ceremony for the second annual Dzigbodi Akyea art exhibit at Madison College's Traux campus was last week. The exhibition is titled "Protecting the Black Woman" and "serves as invitation for guests to examine their own experiences and the role they play when it comes to protecting the Black woman." The show is open in the Madison College art gallery at 1750 Wright St. through the end of the month.
🇺🇸 The president is coming to town.
- President Joe Biden announced he'll be making a stop "in the Madison area of Wisconsin" following his State of the Union address this week.
- The White House says he’ll use the visit on Wednesday to promote his economic plan and how he hopes to continue “delivering results for the American people.”
- Related: Here's how you can watch the State of the Union address tomorrow.
🌸 Orchid Escape is back at Olbrich.
- Looking for a tropical getaway without a plane ticket? Through the end of the month, the Bolz Conservatory at Olbrich Gardens is home to Orchid Escape, a show of biodiversity featuring the orchid family.
- This year’s theme is “Under the Glass Top.” Organizers say to be "prepared to see some of the biggest, weirdest, most beautiful flowers the world has ever seen, straight from Olbrich’s mind-boggling orchid collection."
😷 Three years of Covid-19.
- Yesterday was the third anniversary of the first confirmed case of Covid-19 in Dane County.
- “The first case of COVID in Dane County was confirmed on February 5, 2020,” Public Health Madison and Dane County wrote. “3 years later, there have been more than 3M tests given and more than 1.4M doses of vaccine administered in Dane County.”
- Related: You can request free Covid-19 tests from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services here.
- Need to get vaxxed or boosted? PHMDC can help.
📚 Your lunchtime read: Madison-based author puts Black history in perspective.
- Via Wisconsin Life (from 2022): "Joyce Salter Johnson has loved history her entire life. But as a descendant of people who were enslaved, the Madison author’s family history — like the history of many Black families across the country — was largely struck from the historical record. Johnson had to take it upon herself to uncover her family’s roots."
🎙️ Today on the pod
Embracing ‘Pleasure Activism’ this Valentine’s Day
It’s happening. The onslaught of pink and red. The chocolate sales and candy hearts. The pressure. Valentine’s Day is coming and whether you love it or want to run screaming, we’ve got you.
This week, we’re honoring love in its many forms. We’ll offer you things to do, places to go, and advice on how to care for friends, lovers… and yourself.
Today, we’re talking about how taking time for your own pleasure can be an act of love.We talk to Sami Schalk, UW Madison professor and columnist for Tone Madison, about why celebrating joy in daily life is essential for our well-being and how finding your ‘enthusiastic yes’ can help you set better boundaries in love and life.
🏦 Finances 101
This sponsored column is presented by Bank of Sun Prairie.
- Save for college with a special savings account
- How to protect your money while you travel
- 10 financial terms for savvy money management
- Mondays at Mom's Comedy Mic at Mom's Bar
- Webinar: Resilience in the Face of Illness: Taking Healthcare into Your own Hands from DreamBank
- Rigby-oke at The Rigby
- Wine School: Be Our Valentine Chocolate and Wine Tasting at Leopold's Books Bar Caffè
- Lunch with a Founder featuring Nic Mink at StartingBlock Madison
- Cécile McLorin Salvant at Memorial Union
- Out Professional Engagement Network Coffee & Coworking at Forward Craft and Coffee
- Trivia at The Rigby
- Mixed Open Mic at The Harmony Bar and Grill