Hats for all and all for hats
You asked, we delivered.
In this newsletter
Good morning, Madison!
Y'all asked for it and we've delivered.
Yes, dear reader, we now have Madison Minutes hats available for purchase.
If you didn't win one during Hatapalooza, here's your chance to show off your love for our little email while instantly becoming the envy of friends and strangers alike.
As a reminder, the best way to support our work is by becoming a member. As a way of saying thank you, members get a 20% discount on hats.
So are you ready for a hat girl summer?
😎 It's terrace time.
- Memorial Union: ICYMI, Terrace Season at Memorial Union officially begins today! Get ready for your social media feeds to be filled with sunburst chairs, beer pitchers, and picture-perfect sunsets.
- Monona Terrace: The Monona Terrace has released the lineup for its free summer Concerts on the Rooftop series. The first show is June 1 and will feature The LoveMonkeys, who blend rock, pop and reggae in their performances.
- Looking for more outdoor fun? Check out the newly updated Cap Times patio guide.
🍣 Poke Poke is closing for now.
- The Willy Street restaurant's lease is up at the end of the month and its owners have chosen not to renew the contract. But Poke Poke won't be gone forever, the State Journal reports.
- The owners are looking for a new home for Poke Poke and while they search, much of the poke menu will be available at their other Willy Street restaurant, FEAST Artisan Dumpling and Tea House.
🗳️ District 14 is officially getting a recount.
- After all the ballots were counted last week, Noah Lieberman led Isadore Knox, Jr. by a single vote.
- The City of Madison Clerk’s Office will hold a recount this morning. Officials told NBC15 that recounts at the local level are pretty rare.
💸 MMSD is facing a big budget gap next year.
- Though the official budget has yet to be released, school administrators are projecting a $3.5 million gap in the 2023-24 budget.
- District leaders are looking to cut 22 central office positions and 49 full-time equivalent positions around the district. The cuts are attributed to an ongoing decline in enrollment, according to Cap Times.
- Despite the gap, school officials are hopeful they can make it through the year with emergency reserves. Their main concern, however, is the potential of larger gaps in future.
- Dive deeper: School funding hangs in balance of Wisconsin budget debate (Cap Times)
🧀 There's a new cheese festival coming to town.
- The Art of Cheese Festival will draw foodies to Madison for cheese plant tours, a downtown cheese market, and a "cheese ball" with live music, food, and drinks. Area restaurants are also expected to offer special cheesy menus for the occasion, too.
- The festival will run from Sept. 29 through Oct. 1. It was initially planned for 2020 but was postponed due to Covid-19.
🎙️ Today on City Cast Madison
Wisconsin Wants To Give You Your Money Back
Tax time is coming. Looking for a little extra cash? What if I told you there was a magic website where you could search for free money? No wait, don’t hang up. We promise this is legit.
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue runs a website where you can search for lost money. It’s called the Unclaimed Property list. And it’s actually YOUR money. If you’ve ever forgotten to cash a check, chances are that money is NOT long gone. It was turned over to the state, where they are keeping it safe, waiting for you to come get it.
Erin Eagan of the Wisconsin Department of Revenue tells you how to get your money back.
- Aoife O'Donovan plays Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska in its entirety at Stoughton Opera House
- "Beneficial Backyard Bugs": In-Person Badger Talk at Verona Public Library
- Trivia at Starkweather Brewing Company
- Live @ Myestery to Me: Dan Egan at Mystery to Me
- Madison's Funniest Comic Competition - Preliminary Round 2 at Comedy on State
- MOVE4BGC Kickoff at Delta Beer Lab
- Q-Cinema: Three Months (2022) at OutReach LGBTQ+ Community Center
- Speakeasy: What's next for the Wisconsin Supreme Court? at Robinia Courtyard
- State Line Distillery Music Series: Ed Ford at State Line Distillery
- Terra Femme with Filmmaker Courtney Stephens at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Brews and Q's Taproom Trivia at Karben4 Brewing
- Clean Lakes 101: From Waste to Worth: Phosphorus Recovery and Reuse at The Edgewater. Virtual option available.
- Dear Theo: The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Live @ Mystery to Me: Marcy McCreary in Conversation with Nick Chiarkas at Mystery to Me
- Maggie Cousin Combo, Maestranza at The Bur Oak
- Music Bingo at Starkweather Brewing Company
- Sensation, a kink/sensory play dance party at Crucible
- Webinar: Fire, Shipwrecks, and Cheese: Wisconsin's Lost Coastal Communities at Wisconsin Historical Society
📝 Miss a Minute?
Check out the headlines from our last newsletter.