Another day full of news
Morning update: Friday, Oct. 7
In this newsletter
Madison Minutes thanks our advertising partners. Become one
💻 The teacher shortage has forced some Madison high school classes online.
- The Madison school district is still short more than 100 teachers. As a result of the shortage, the Wisconsin State Journal reports a "small number" of high school classes are moving online.
- The district has been using long-term substitutes to fill vacancies. Most of the classes that have moved online are language classes for which the district has had a harder time finding substitute teachers. Students still take the courses out of their classrooms and a district staff member is reportedly present in the classroom.
📣 Did you know there's a debate tonight?
- U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson will face Democratic challenger Mandela Barnes in a debate tonight in Milwaukee. Get the details on how to watch here.
- Attorney general candidates Eric Toney and Josh Kaul will meet for a debate in Madison Oct. 27.
Check your voter registration here.
Get the details on voter IDs here.
Meet the candidates here.
🎮 A new development following unionization at Raven Software.
- If you'll recall: In May, quality assurance testers at Middleton’s Raven Software overwhelmingly voted to unionize. Raven makes games for parent company Activision Blizzard, including the wildly successful "Call of Duty" franchise.
- The news: Cap Times reports the National Labor Relations Board ruled Activision attempted to undermine unionization efforts and illegally withheld raises from employees at Raven working to unionize.
- Activision plans to appeal the NLRB's decision.
⚽️ Forward's last home game of the season.
- This Saturday marks Forward Madison’s final home match of the 2022 season. The 'Mingos will face off against the Richmond Kickers at Breese Stevens Field.
- It's also fan appreciation night, so get ready for plenty of festivities before and after the game.
💉 DHS has expanded monkeypox vaccine eligibility.
- The Wisconsin Department of Health Services on Wednesday widened the scope of who can get a monkeypox vaccine. Per guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people who have new STD diagnoses and people who attended or had sex at a commercial sex venue are now eligible for the vaccine.
- Some context: The most recent DHS data shows the state has reported 81 cases of monkeypox, 15 of which were in Dane County.
🎨 Your lunchtime read: Madison artist creates street art despite challenges.
- Via Wisconsin Life: "Artist Liubov Szwako was born and raised in Mexico City, Mexico. Several years ago, he immigrated to Wisconsin and began to build his portfolio around the city of Madison.
'I think my work is very abstract,' Szwako said. 'I’m not a big fan of telling people what to think or what to believe or what to see in my work or what my word represents.'
Szwako is more widely known around the Madison community as Triangulador."
- Alumni Park's 5th Anniversary Celebration at Alumni Park
- Andrea & Mud at Come Back In
- CHAI with JENNY 123 at The Sett
- Cheshire cat Comedy Show at The Brink Lounge
- Crackle at Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- David Wilcox at The Bur Oak
- Forward Art Prize Winners Celebration + Women's Work Art Exhibit Opening at Giant Jones Brewing Company
- Madds at Liquid Madison
- Magic Conch and DJ $amroc at Crucible
- Middleton Strollin' Jazz at multiple locations across Middleton
- Moon Over Monona Terrace at Monona Terrace
- Soultru, Def Sonic, TZERA at Dark Horse Artbar
- Treasures in the Church Basement at Grace Episcopal Church
- Nicholas Meyer Q&A at UW Cinematheque
- WUD Film Presents: Speed Racer (2008) at Union South
- The Apologists + Ginny & the Fizz + The Blue Herons at Dark Horse Artbar
- Grazyna Auguscik Group at Cafe CODA
- Harvest Folk Festival at Allen Centennial Gardens
- The Heavy Heavy with creeping charlie at Memorial Union Terrace
- The Low Czars with Back Issues at Harmony Bar and Grill
- Monstersongs at Crucible
- Octoberfresh at Robina Courtyard
- Pumpkin Chuck at Wisconsin Brewing Company
- Riot Ten at Liquid Madison
- Rova Saxophone Quartet at North Street Cabaret
- Soweto Gospel Choir at Wisconsin Union Theater - Shannon Hall
- Steven Wright at The Barrymore Theatre
- Wu-Tang is for the Children Dance Party at High Noon Saloon
- Color Your Life at Pyle Center
- Dane County Fire Truck Parade at Downtown Madison
- Drag Bingo at The Rigby
- Kelsey Waldon: No Regular Dog Tour at High Noon Saloon
- Kule, Clementine, Head War, Calamity at Crucible
- UW Cinematheque at the Chazen: Stuart Gordon Retrospective, Part Three
- Waisman Whirl Run, Walk and Roll for All Abilities at Waisman Center
😻 Friday Floof
It's Friday, and you know what that means — time for some floof. Meet Pippin. This dashing lad is an adventure seeker at heart. Hobbies include exploring back yards, climbing trees (with a leash, of course), and keeping watch over the neighborhood from his favorite stump. Thank you for your service, Pippin.
🐶 Do you have a floof to share with the Madison Minutes community? Fill out this form for the opportunity to be featured.