Happy Monday, Y'all.
Do you have a flair for photography and love for Madison parks? If that sounds like you, get your cameras ready for the Madison Parks 2023 calendar photography contest.
Each year the Madison Parks Department publishes a calendar filled with photos taken by community members. Photos for the next year's calendar can be submitted through Labor Day. Judging takes place in September, and winners are announced later in the fall.
🚨 Here's your reminder that new speed limits on John Nolen go into effect today.
- The speed limit from North Shore Drive to East Lakeside Street will reduce from 45 to 35 mph today.
- The bigger picture: The change is part of the city's Vision Zero initiative, which aims to eliminate traffic deaths and severe injuries on city streets by 2035.
📣 Eken Park Festival really needs volunteers.
- The north side festival is desperate need of extra hands. The family-friendly festival is Aug. 20 from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m on the 700 block of Mayer Ave, outside the North Street Cabaret. Check out all of the available volunteer opportunities here.
😷 PCR tests are not available on campus yet.
- UW-Madison announced on-campus PCR testing will not be available until until Aug. 22.
- UW students and staff can still pick up antigen tests from University Health Services at this time.
⚖️ So long and good night, Michael Gableman.
- Assembly Speaker Robin Vos fired former Supreme Court Justice Michael Gableman last week, effectively ending his investigation into the 2020 presidential election.
- If you'll recall, Vos hired Gableman in June 2021 to investigate Wisconsin's handling of the 2020 election. The taxpayer-funded investigation found no evidence of substantial election fraud and has racked up a total price tag of more than $1 million.
🥁 Get ready for WSUM’s Party in the Park.
- The UW-Madison student-run radio station is hosting a music festival Sep. 2, dubbed Party in the Park. The lineup features scores of local talent. The festival will run from 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. at James Madison Park.
⛪️ Just for fun: Check out this time capsule found in a church wall.
- Madison's Zion Lutheran Church is set for demolition later this year but a newly opened time capsule will ensure its memory lives on. Check out what was inside here.
- Related: With congregation's blessing, developer will demolish church for $8 million housing project (Wisconsin State Journal)
🚙 Your lunchtime read: No car? If you live in Madison, you still pay for parking downtown.
- Via Cap Times: "Whether you park in a downtown parking garage or don’t drive a car at all, if you live in Madison you’re paying for a parking spot.
According to slides from last week’s Transportation Policy and Planning Board meeting, the city of Madison pays upwards of $100,000 a month to cover the cost of parking spots, on top of what it receives from parking fees.
The presentation showed the hefty cost per stall at the Wilson Street parking garage on 20 E. Wilson St. Revenue from the garage covers around $212 per month per spot, but leaves a $240 public subsidy. Parking fees don’t cover the entire cost, leading the city to fill the gap."
Has the fall of Roe v. Wade impacted your decisions about family planning? Tell us.
We've partnered with Tone Madison to produce a survey that will help us better understand and offer our readers a fuller picture of how the ruling is affecting people across the Madison area. Learn more and take the survey here.
📅 Events: Monday
- Badger Startup Summit at Discovery Building
- Concerts in the Park Featuring American Scarecrows at Beach Park
- Movies with Madison Parks - Luca at Allied Park
- Open Mic Comedy Night at The Bur Oak
- Willy Tea Taylor at Harmony Bar & Grill
- Painting Is for Everyone with Mike Lroy: Collaboration at Lakeview Library
- Dark Horse Open Mic hosted by Pinhead McFly at Dark Horse Artbar
- Family Night on Lake Mendota at Memorial Union
- Gardens & Cocktails at Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center
- Joe Kaplow at The Bur Oak
- Summer Concerts at Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Pressure Chamber 2022 at Majestic Theatre
- Wisconsin Veterans Museum Trivia Night at Wisconsin Veterans Museum
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
⏪ Miss a day? Catch up on past newsletters here.
💙 Did a friend forward you this? Sign up for our email newsletters here.
📨 Need something else? Email us at email@example.com.