Are y’all’s dogs watching TV?
Morning Update: Friday, April 1
In this newsletter
Madison is getting a new local podcast this summer.
City Cast, a startup that’s active in multiple cities, is planning an expansion to Madison. Right now, they’re looking for a lead producer who will build out a small team of producers, hosts and contributors in town, with hopes of publishing the first episode later this summer.
We’ve had a few conversations with their leadership team, and we look forward to collaborating once they make it to town.
Have a great weekend!
🗳️ Tell all your friends: don’t use drop boxes for the Spring election!
- Election officials across the state are working to make sure voters don’t try to use drop boxes for the April 5 election. In past elections, drop boxes were a convenient way to submit absentee ballots, but their use in Wisconsin elections has recently been banned.
- More from the Wisconsin Examiner: “The use of drop boxes, which has been common in the state for years, was banned in January after a judge in Waukesha County sided with the right-wing lawyers for two voters who sought to end the practice. An appeals court allowed their use in the February primary, but they aren’t allowed for the April 5 election as the state Supreme Court weighs a final decision.”
⚖️ Police have arrested two men in connection with Madison's first homicide of 2022.
- The victim had just left the Dane County Jail when he was targeted in a "pre-planned" attack, Madison Police Chief Shon Barnes said.
- “I won’t mince words, it is very brazen,” Barnes said of the attack, which happened steps away from the headquarters of both MPD and the Dane County Sheriff's Department on Wednesday.
🍲 Say “hello” to Mishqui Peruvian Cuisine.
- Mishqui Peruvian Cuisine has opened on Monona Drive in the space previously occupied by Rosie’s Coffee Bar and Bakery.
- The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, serving up dishes that include empanadas and stir-fried dishes like pollo saltado and lomo saltado. Mmmm.
🎤 Like karaoke? There’s now a remarkably detailed spreadsheet for that.
- A Reddit user created this list of regular Madison-area karaoke events.
- Other users pitched in with suggestions to add to the list. Don’t you love to see neighbors helping neighbors?
“Also, I'm trying to do karaoke every night, so help me out if you know of any spots that aren't listed" — our hero, Reddit user ArtSorr0w
🚧 South Blair Street will be closed starting Monday.
- Northbound lanes will be completely closed, and southbound traffic will be closed except a single lane open during the weekday morning rush. Signs will be set up on John Nolen Drive and East Washington to redirect traffic.
- The closures are expected to last until at least June.
Credit: Wisconsin DOT. Click here to expand the map.
🐶 What is your dog watching on TV?
- UW researcher Freya Mowat is surveying dog owners to see what kind of videos their pups enjoy, and she needs more responses!
- The responses will be used to help experts design more effective eye exams for dogs, and could be useful to understanding human eye conditions, too, the Cap Times reports.
“It’s a fun thing to think about as a concept … What do our dogs watch when we watch TV? Are they watching it too? But it also tells us what we can do with that information in terms of developing health testing for our pets that's actually meaningful.” — UW researcher Freya Mowat
🗺️ Your lunchtime read: “Mapping Dejope” project seeks to bring indigenous history at UW to the forefront
- From Channel 3000: “The project called ‘Mapping Dejope,’ after the name given to the Madison area by the Ho-chunk people to mean four lakes, will highlight sites on the UW campus especially linked to indigenous history via an app or website.”
🦠 Covid-19 Update
Wisconsin Vaccination Rate: 60.7%
Dane County Vaccination Rate: 78.5%
- Here's where to find a COVID-19 vaccine near you.
- Need a COVID-19 test? PHMDC has you covered.
- Do you still need your flu shot? Start here.
- Request an at-home testing kit from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
- Where to pick up free masks from the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program
- What to Do if You are Sick or Possibly Exposed (PHMDC)
📅 The weekend
Friday, April 1
- Heathers (1988) screening at UW Cinematheque. Doors at 6:30 p.m., screening at 7 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Sirena by Leslie Damaso and Mr. Chair at Arts + Literature Laboratory. 7:30 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Graham Hunt, Mol Siullivan, Sunny Falls at Bur Oak. Music at 8 p.m. $10. 🟠
- Spirit Of The Beehive, Deeper at Union South Sett. Music at 8 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Dark Horse ArtBar Presents: ELEMENTS. Live electronic music fused with poetry. 9 p.m.
- Family Friday at the Chazen. Join Curator of Education Candie Waterloo on the first Friday of each month, when she posts a Family Friday video on Facebook demonstrating fun do-at-home projects for the whole family.
- Chelsea Cutler at the Sylvee. Show at 8 p.m. $29.50 advance, $35 doors.
- Acraze at Liquid. Music at 10 p.m. $20-25.
Saturday, April 2
- Dane County Farmers’ Market Late Winter Market at Garver Feed Mill. 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Free admission.
- Yellow & Blues Ukraine Benefit at The East Side Club. Featuring Cash Box Kings and special guests. Music at 7 p.m. $15.
- Dina Nina Comedy Hour at Giant Jones Brewing Company. 7 p.m. Suggested $10 cover.
- Tim Albright, Dane Richeson, Marc Urness, Bill Carrothers and Ted Piltzecker at North Street Cabaret. 8 p.m. $20. 🟠
- The cast of "Whose Line is it Anyway?" live at The Overture. 8 p.m. Tickets start at $30.
- Leather + Lace: April Fool's Masquerade at Crucible Madison. 8:30 p.m. $5 if dressed as theme, $10 if wearing street clothes. Doors at 8:30 p.m.
- Tom Petty Tribute Band featuring Gregg Hall and the Wrecking Ball at Harmony Bar & Grill. 9 p.m. $10.
Sunday, April 3
- Chris Renzema at the Barrymore. 7 p.m. Tickets start at $20.
- The Big Big Big Comedy Show at the Bur Oak. Comedians from across the midwest. 8 p.m. $10 advance, $15 doors.
- The Spring Crafty Fair at the Goodman Center. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 40 vendors with handmade items for sale.
Wondering what that 🟠 means? That symbol next to an event listing means that Tone Madison’s team of writers and editors recommends checking it out.