Good morning, Madison!
Happy Friday to all, and happy Christmas Eve to all who celebrate. A quick reminder: No newsletter next week. We're on vacation! Hopefully, you will be too.
It's crazy to think that we're about to close out another year. In many ways, 2021 seemed like a cruel extension of 2020. But reflecting back on the year, 2021 had its fair share of unique bright spots.
I won't get too nostalgic over here but this past year took me on a wild ride that ultimately resulted in the creation of Madison Minutes. Whether you've been on this journey with us from day one or just joined yesterday, thank you for being a part of it. This year wouldn't have been the same without each one of you and I am forever thankful for and in awe of the community we've built.
We've got big plans for the new year and can't wait to share them all with you. For now, cheers to 2022!
🗳️ Lena Taylor is out of the lieutenant governor's race.
- The state senator from Milwaukee announced Thursday she is suspending her campaign for lieutenant governor. In a statement, Taylor expressed her wish to use her experience and platform as a legislator to have a direct impact on her constituents.
"While working to ensure fair legislative maps and to maintain and improve existing representation for communities of color, I have questioned the best use of my legislative experience and skills. The office of Lt. Governor offers a wide platform to raise awareness about many issues. However, as a hands-on, boots on the ground legislator, I want to be positioned to have a direct impact on the concerns of constituents." — Sen. Lena Taylor
🚨 A Madison woman will face reckless homicide charges in the fatal April East Washington pedestrian crash.
- Janessa Cardenas is alleged to have been traveling at speeds of 75 mph before she struck and killed Ashley Taylor as he crossed East Washington Avenue at Mendota Street on April 3.
🥡 Need dinner tonight? Here's a list of the Madison restaurants open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Restaurants include: Monty's Blue Plate Diner, Sunny, Pho, Nani, Tully’s II Food & Spirits, Swagat Indian Cuisine, and more. Big Shout out to the Cap Times for putting this list together.
🗽 UW-Madison's Winter Carnival will be back on the lake next year.
- The Wisconsin Union’s Winter Carnival is returning for a week of frozen fun February 7-12, 2022. Last year, the celebration featured a hybrid mix of in-person and online events. Union organizers are hopeful they'll be able to bring back fully in-person events for 2022.
🎁 It's not too late to shop local.
- Need a last-minute holiday gift? You're in luck. Madison Magazine rounded up local shops selling gift boxes. From Beans N Cream Bakehouse and Fromagination to The Soap Opera, there's likely one for every unique person on your list.
⚽ Mark your calendars, Forward Madison just dropped their 2022 season schedule.
- Forward Madison will see its earliest-ever home game, hosting league champions Union Omaha April 9. Check out the full schedule here.
👩🏽💼 Your lunchtime read: Wisconsin’s 48 Most Influential Black Leaders. (A five-part series)
- From Madison365: "We’ve published our Black Power list every year since our founding — this is our sixth annual — and it’s become the most anticipated thing we do. Every year, I’ve intended this list to highlight the beauty of the diversity across our state. I want kids here in Wisconsin to see role models of people who are succeeding, to know that it’s possible for Black people to achieve great things here."
🦠 Covid-19 Resources
Wisconsin Vaccination Rate: 57.9%
Dane County Vaccination Rate: 75.7%
Here's where to find a COVID-19 vaccine near you.
Need a COVID-19 test? PHMDC has you covered.
Do you still need your flu shot? Start here.
📅 Events: Friday, Dec. 24
It's Christmas Eve, so there's not a whole lot going on but we do have a couple suggestions, including:
- Ice skating at The Edgewater
- Madison Ballet's The Nutcracker
- Holiday Express Flower & Model Train Show at Olbrich Gardens