Good morning, Madison!
We have a couple of news blurbs about the UW in the newsletter today. Turns out, the major research university located here in town is a pretty big deal!
That's why I'm excited for my interview with both UW-Madison student newspaper editors on Monday. In addition to being students, these editors both lead impressive teams that regularly produce top tier work about the campus and our local community.
It should be fun! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question that I should ask.
📜 Another anti-trans bill is being proposed by Republican lawmakers.
- This bill would specifically target minors. If passed, it would block health care professionals from providing any gender transition procedure to minors in Wisconsin. That includes “inpatient and outpatient hospital service, puberty-blocking drug, cross-sex hormone, genital gender reassignment surgery or non-genital gender reassignment surgery.”
- There are several steps between now and this bill (potentially) becoming law, but this is a movement that is gaining steam across the country. After Arkansas banned gender-affirming care for minors last year, legislators in 15 states have proposed similar bans.
🏗️ American Family Insurance is donating $2.5 million to the Center for Black Excellence and Culture.
- That’s the largest gift pledged to the project so far, the Cap Times reports.
- Plans for the center show spaces dedicated to performing arts, business development, health and wellness, and more. The project site is on the 700 block of West Badger Road in South Madison.
The Center for Black Excellence and Culture project timeline.
📣 A new UW-Madison chancellor search website just went live.
- The university's search committee launched a new website that includes a description of the position, a timeline for the search, and details about the committee.
- Current chancellor Rebecca Blank will leave her position to become president of Northwestern University this summer.
🎓 In other university news, the UW system could decide between two finalists for system president today.
- Don't get this confused with the UW-Madison chancellor search. This position leads the entire system of UW campuses.
- About a week ago, two finalists were named for the position: Milwaukee attorney Jay Rothman and UW-Eau Claire Chancellor Jim Schmidt.
- The regents will meet in a closed session today and could decide to offer the position to one of the finalists.
⚖️ Chandler Halderson has been found guilty on two counts of first-degree murder for killing his parents.
- While this trial has gained a lot of attention in recent months, I will caution you that the details of this crime are particularly grisly and could be upsetting to read about.
- Halderson was also found guilty of lying to investigators and a few other charges related to the murders. Channel 3000 has the full story.
🏈 The Packers are doing a giveaway ahead of Saturday's game against the 49ers.
- Click here if you're interested in winning prizes like an autographed helmet or a shoulder bag.
- Today is also apparently “Green and Gold Friday.” If you're already at work, I guess you need to go back home and change into some Packers gear...
- Related: 'These are two different teams': Packers, 49ers set for record-tying ninth playoff meeting (WPR)
😷 The county has acquired nearly 100,000 KN95 masks that it intends to distribute locally.
- The masks will go to local groups like Centro Hispano and the Hmong Institute.
✍️ Angela Trudell Vasquez has been reappointed as the Madison Poet Laureate.
- Trudell Vasquez was first appointed to the volunteer position in 2020.
- More from the city's announcement: "Ms. Trudell Vasquez’s work with the community included providing free poetry readings, crafts talks and poetry lectures, judging poetry competitions always including youth voices, providing workshops to youth and educators, and speaking to college students and faculty."
🦠 Covid-19 update
Wisconsin Vaccination Rate: 58.9%
Dane County Vaccination Rate: 76.8%
- Here's where to find a COVID-19 vaccine near you.
- Need a COVID-19 test? PHMDC has you covered.
- Do you still need your flu shot? Start here.
- Request an at-home testing kit from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
- Where to Buy N95s, KN95s, and Surgical-Style Masks in 2022 (Wirecutter)
- What to Do if You are Sick or Possibly Exposed (PHMDC)
📅 The weekend
Friday, Jan. 21
- Fair Maps End Gerrymandering rally at the Capitol. Organized by the Wisconsin Fair Maps Coalition. 12 p.m.
- Groove & Glide at Rennebohm Park. 6 p.m. Free.
- Chris Lane with Ernest and Lily Rose at The Sylvee. Doors 6:30 p.m., show at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $32.50.
- Bing Bong with Zeroed Hero at the Bur Oak. Doors at 6 p.m., show at 7 p.m. $10 advance, $12 at door.
- “Labyrinth of Cinema” screening at UW Cinematheque. Tone Madison writes that the film "colorfully goofs on war and cinematic convention." 7 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Preview of “She Loves Me” with Madison Opera. Q&A after presentation. 7 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- Mae Simpson and Nur-D at High Noon Saloon. Doors at 7 p.m. show at 8 p.m. $12 advance, $15 at door.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show at Crucible featuring the cast of Madison's Velvet. Doors at 11:30 p.m., show at 12 a.m. $8.
Saturday, Jan. 22
- Dane County Farmers’ Market Late Winter Market at Garver Feed Mill. 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Free admission.
- Beer and Cheese Fest at Alliant Energy Center. 12-6 p.m. $55 general admission includes unlimited beer and cheese sampling.
- Winter Fun & Outdoor Gear Demo at William G Lunney Lake Farm Park. Hosted by Sierra Club and Dane County Parks. 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Celebration of the 1st Anniversary of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons at the Capitol. Organized by Physicians for Social Responsibility Wisconsin. 12 p.m.
- Candlelight walk at Warner Park. Tour the park by candlelight and warm up by the fire. Limited snowshoes will be available to borrow during the event. 6 – 8 p.m. Free.
- January Watershed Reading: Barrett Swanson with T. Banks and I.S. Jones at Arts + Literature Lab. Event at 7 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Robert Finley with I&R at High Noon Saloon. $20 advance, $25 at door. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m.
- Ruin Dweller with Cryptual, Order of the Jackal, Cowboy Amazing at Crucible. Doors at 7:30 p.m., show at 8 p.m. $10. 🟠
Sunday, Jan. 23
- Garden Stroll at UW Arboretum. 1 p.m. Free.
- Cocktails with the Author: Brenda Lyne at Leopold's Books Bar Caffè. 2-4 p.m.
- Week 1 of the Winter Festival of Poetry. 8-week series features six poets each week, reading for roughly 10-12 minutes each. 2 p.m. Free.
- Cocktail Class with State Line Distillery at Garver Feed Mill. 4 p.m. $160 for two people, includes cocktails, instruction, snacks, recipe book, bitters, and sweet vermouth.
- Houndmouth with Buffalo Nichols at the Majestic. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $27.50.
🤝 Do you want to connect? Add me on Linkedin!
I don't post many updates on LinkedIn, but I like seeing everybody's updates. If I see you post good news, I will absolutely be your hype man in the comments.