Good morning, Madison.
In case you missed it, late last week, state health officials approved Pfizer COVID-19 booster shots for 16- and 17-year-olds.
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services recommends teens 16 and older get a booster dose of the Pfizer vaccine at least six months after their second dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. So far, Pfizer is the only vaccine booster recommended for older teens. Anyone 18 older is allowed to mix and match for booster doses.
I got my own booster shot yesterday and other than feeling like my arm got punched by a mafia man wearing a full fist of rings, life is great.
✏️ Who's in and who's out of the Madison School Board race.
- Yesterday, Seat 5 School Board member Ananda Mirilli announced she will not seek re-election, citing the personal and professional tolls the COVID-19 pandemic has taken on her family and wellbeing.
- Longtime advocate for equity in education Nichelle Nichols announced her candidacy for Mirilli's seat Monday. And as Madison365 reports, she has Mirilli's endorsement already.
- School Board President Ali Muldrow announced her re-election bid last month.
- Cris Carusi announced she would not seek re-election earlier this month. Shepherd Janeway, who will be listed on the ballot as Shepherd Joyner, is the only candidate running for Carusi's seat after Mary Jo Walters dropped out.
⚖️ Gordon Hintz is stepping down as the Wisconsin Assembly Democratic Leader.
- Hintz has represented Oshkosh in the state assembly since 2007. He replaced former state Rep. Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, as Assembly Minority Leader after Barca stepped down in 2017.
- According to the Wisconsin Examiner, Hintz cited "his wife Liz and two children, Beatrix and Gethin, who are both under the age of five, as his reasons for making his decision."
🦁 Henry Vilas Zoo is hosting a vaccine clinic this weekend.
- The pop-up COVID-19 vaccine clinic will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Discovery Center. Anyone over the age of five is welcome to attend and booster shots will also be available. The clinic will offer Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson vaccines.
- Did you know animals are susceptible to getting COVID-19, too? According to the Zoo, over 80% of eligible animals are fully vaccinated.
📚 Having fun isn't hard when you have a library card, and now you can get one without proof of address.
- The Madison Public Library system now offers Easy Access cards, which don't require proof of address to obtain. It's meant to reduce barriers for folks who can't show proof of address to get a full use card.
- Easy Access cardholders can check out up to 3 items and place holds on up to 2 items. You can apply for this card in person at any library location.
🗳️ The co-executive director of Rape Crisis Center is running for Dane County Supervisor.
- Who is she? Dana Pellebon announced her candidacy for the District 33 seat in Fitchburg late last week. Currently, she serves as the co-executive director of Rape Crisis Center in Dane County. She has extensive experience in working with people experiencing homelessness and has served on the board of directors for OutReach LGBTQ Community Center.
- The spring election will be held Tuesday, April 5, 2022.
🚮 The Madison Streets Division is increasing the number of large item pickup opportunities.
- Under the previous system, residents were restricted to just one large item set-out opportunity a month. Now, after collecting data on the system's efficiency, the city's Streets Division will collect your large items whenever you submit a work order. You can submit that form here.
😳 This UW dorm is going viral for the wrong reasons.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison student Elise Poos posted a viral TikTok of mold growth in her Sellery Residence Hall dorm room. In the video — which has over 18,000 likes and 157,000 views — Poos explained she's been sick since September and decided to get a mold testing kit after realizing her symptoms overlapped with potential mold exposure.
- The Daily Cardinal reports this isn't the first time mold has become a cause for concern in Sellery but UW Housing officials maintain there is "no widespread evidence of concern regarding mold."
🤠 Jason aldean will headline Summerfest 2022.
- The country music star will headline the Milwaukee festival's first night at the American Family Amphitheater June 23, 2022.
- The festival will take place over the course of three weekends in 2022: June 23-25, June 30-July 2, and July 7-9.
😷 Your lunchtime read: The pandemic almost killed my mom, but she didn't catch COVID.
- From the La Crosse Tribune's Olivia Herken: "We didn’t plan for my mom to be in the hospital that Saturday. Just like we don’t plan car accidents or heart attacks or other emergencies that desperately need a hospital bed. At a check-up just the other day, my mom’s doctor wanted to admit her to the hospital again. Deemed not too urgent of a case, they said there likely wasn’t an open bed anyway, and she went home. But when the time comes that they can’t just send her home, I’m still not so sure there will be room for her."
- Related: SSM Health temporarily closing Baraboo urgent care facility, citing ‘extremely high patient volumes’ (Channel 3000)
- Dig deeper: With $14M award, Madison companies join forces to create mobile COVID test (Wisconsin State Journal)
🦠 Covid-19 Resources
Wisconsin Vaccination Rate: 56.4%
Dane County Vaccination Rate: 72.9%
Here's where to find a COVID-19 vaccine near you.
Need a COVID-19 test? PHMDC has you covered.
Do you still need your flu shot? Start here.
📅 Events: Tuesday, Dec. 14
- Coffee with a Cop at MPD - East. 10 a.m. Free. Virtual option available.
- BeneBlends on Junction Rd. grand opening and ribbon cutting. 12-1 p.m.
- Four Christmases (2008) screening at Alicia Ashman Library. From IMDb: “A couple struggles to visit all four of their divorced parents on Christmas.” 1 p.m. Free.
- Public information meeting: resurfacing streets in Madison. City staff will go over projects and information about the projects planned in the 2022 Resurfacing Program. 5 p.m. Virtual.
- Cocktails with the Author: George Hesselberg at Leopold's Books Bar Caffè. Meet Hesselberg and get a signed copy of his book “Dead Lines: Slices of Life from the Obit Beat.” 6 p.m. Free.
- Groove Roulette: Season 2 Finale LIVE!! at Bos Meadery. 7 p.m. $5 advance, $10 at the door.
- The Office themed trivia at the Rigby. Themed prizes for the top 3 teams and best team name. 7 p.m.
- Workshop: building beautiful cheese boards. Hosted by Edible Madison, Roth Cheese and Tricky Foods. Virtual. 7 p.m. $15.
(Header image via Wikimedia commons)