Happy Wednesday, my friends,
We're one step closer to being a city with snowplows that have names.
The city put out a call out for name suggestions earlier this month and Madison definitely delivered.
Just like when we did this for those trash compactors, people have come up with some beautifully creative titles. Some of my personal favorites include Brine of Tarth, Snowsferatu, Plowie Walnuts, and Seymour Pavement.
🎥 Movies are making a comeback at MMoCA.
- The Madison Museum Of Contemporary Art will kick off its revamped cinema series tomorrow with a heavy focus on documentary films.
- MMoCA Cinema is a weekly film series that showcases critically acclaimed and award-winning films from around the world. The screenings run weekly on Thursdays at 7 p.m. through March 2.
- The bigger picture: The events of 2022 that led to a boycott of MMoCA's Gallery Night were not lost on the cinema program's coordinator when revamping the project. They told Tone Madison that diversity and artists' perspectives will be at the heart of the films that are showcased.
🥕 Amid recent hurdles, Little John's is taking a step back.
- Little John's Kitchen is temporarily suspending the majority of its operations after nearly two years in business.
- Why? The organization initially had plans to move into a new kitchen next month but those have since fallen through. That situation, coupled with rising food and labor costs, led to the decision. Chef Dave Heide emphasized the plans to bring Little John's back in the future.
- The nonprofit food pantry and catering company provides more than 15,000 meals a week to Madison community members in need. The group uses excess food from farmers and grocery stores that would have otherwise gone to waste and turns it into meals for schools, senior centers, shelters, Meals on Wheels, and more.
👑 Meet Miss Madison.
- UW-Madison student Paige Eide was crowned Miss Madison 2023. Eide is a 19 year old Onalaska native currently studying neurobiology at UW.
- With her win, Eide advances to the 2023 Miss Wisconsin pageant where contestants from around the state will compete for the title.
💕 Share the love with City Cast Madison.
- Our friends at City Cast Madison are putting together a whole week of love stories for Valentine's Day. But to do this, they need your help. Do you have an exceptionally bad (or good!) date story to share? They want to hear 'em!
- Call in and leave a voicemail at (608) 318-3367 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Try to keep your stories short, and first names are fine, no need to burn it all down. xoxo.
🚧 An update on the proposed Filene House development.
- Some background: A Chicago-based developer proposed plans to demolish the two-story building at 1617 Sherman Ave. and construct a multi-building housing complex with more than 300 market-rate units. Earlier this month, those plans were called into question when the city's Landmarks Commission unanimously agreed to recommend designating the two-story building — also known as Filene House — as a local landmark.
- The news: Since the Landmarks Commission's decision, developers have been in a race against time to submit a formal land use application before City Council votes on Filene House's landmark status next month. The State Journal reports the developers have submitted their application, meaning City Council won't have to consider the building's recommended landmark designation when reviewing the development plans.
🚕 Your lunchtime read: Madison's transit system grows more fragmented.
- Via Tone Madison: "Before Green Cab shut down in November, Jada Wren used the company’s taxis almost daily to go to work, basketball practice, or just to see friends.
‘I was a little shocked and sad at the same [when Green Cab closed],’ Wren says. ‘Most of [the drivers] were very nice and funny. They liked to joke around with me.’ [...]
So when Green Cab and its parent company, Zerology, announced it would discontinue service in Madison, Wren was “really stressed out because I didn’t know what was going to happen,” she says."
- Acoustic Happy Hour Ft. Adem Tesfaye at Garver Feed Mill
- Trivia at Starkweather Brewing Company
- Madison Handpan Meetup Group at Unity of Madison
- Brews and Q's Taproom Trivia at Karben4 Brewing
- Call Jane (2022) screening at Hawthorne Library
- Cocktail Class 101 at Garver Feed Mill
- Rhett Miller at High Noon Saloon
- Ring in Pride with Out Professional Engagement Network at The Breakwater
- Roll Play Trivia Night: Marvel at Roll Play