Get ready for Hat Girl Summer
Rising rents, tuition increases, and a new hockey coach. Here's what you need to know in Madison today.
In this newsletter
Happy Friday, friends!
Some congratulations are in order …
Our HATAPALOOZA winners have officially been selected!
We sent out notices to everyone who won, so congrats to our winners and to everyone for participating.
If you didn’t win one this time, don't worry. Between you and me, Sam is working hard on setting up an online store where you might just be able to buy one for yourself.
🏘️ The rent is too damn high.
- A new study from Apartment List found rent in Madison is rising fastest among the country’s 100 largest cities.
- Year over year, rent prices in Madison have gone up 14.1% from February 2022 to February 2023, according to Apartment List. That compares to a 3.2% increase in Milwaukee and a 0.2% increase in Minneapolis.
- Related: High rents are pushing many out of the Madison area market (Wisconsin State Journal)
🗳️ All of the voting guides you could possibly ask for.
- The election is April 4 and (somehow) that's next week. Here's a collection of voting guides from local publications to help walk you through the ballot.
- For the election in general: These guides from The Cap Times and Isthmus have good overviews of the full Madison ballot. The Isthmus guide is also available in Spanish. The League of Women Voters' guide has information for elections around Dane County.
- For the statewide referendums: Read this explainer from WPR.
- For the Dane County referendums: Read (or listen!) to this piece from WORT.
- For the Madison referendum: Check out this explainer from the League of Women Voters.
- Have other election questions? Head to My Vote Wisconsin.
- Curious about how local government works? Check out our new civics guide.
🚫 Street closure of note.
- South Livingston Street at East Washington Avenue is closed now through May 26. Southbound traffic on North Livingston Street traffic is also closed at East Washington Avenue.
- Why? Bus Rapid Transit construction.
Bus Rapid Transit (BRT): The new transit system has been years in the making. Compared to Madison's current transportation system, BRT will travel in dedicated lanes with fewer stops but more frequent service.
💸 Tuition at UW System schools is going up.
- The Board of Regents approved a plan to increase tuition starting next academic year.
- What that means for UW-Madison students: Resident undergraduate tuition will increase by $372 to $9,646 annually in fall 2023. Segregated fees will increase by $46, a 3% change over the current academic year. Non-resident undergraduate tuition will increase by $1,137 to $40,611. Graduate tuition will not change.
- Why it's important: This is the first time that tuition has gone up in more than a decade.
🏒 UW-Madison has a new men's hockey coach.
- Mark Hastings has been hired as the new head coach of the Badger men's hockey team. Hastings spent the last 11 seasons at Minnesota State, where he directed the Mavericks to eight NCAA tournament appearances and one NCAA title game in 2022.
- Hastings is the first head coach of the team who wasn't an alum since Jeff Sauer in 2002, according to SB Nation.
🎙️ Today on City Cast Madison
The $45M Election, Madison Ballot Questions, and the Schoolyard Fight Over Records
It’s the Friday news roundup and the whole City Cast Madison team is here to rein in the wayward news of the week. Dylan Brogan, Bianca Martin and Molly Stentz discuss the big money in our Wisconsin Supreme Court race, the little-known question on your ballot in Madison, why the Madison School District spokesperson is suing to prevent your access to records… and of course, crime-fighting burritos.
🏦 Finances 101
This is a sponsored column from Bank of Sun Prairie.
How to successfully use credit card churn strategies
- Home equity loans 101: are they right for you?
- Six personal finance podcasts worth adding to your playlist
- Self employed? Read these tax tips.
- How to maximize your 401K employer match for 2023
- How much should you save for retirement? Here's where to start.
- Acoustic Happy Hour Ft. Adem Tesfaye at Garver Feed Mill
- Audifax Gallery Party at Garver Feed Mill
- Dyke Dive at The Wisco
- The Gauntlet XXV Improve Show at Glass Nickel Pizza Co.
- Insidious: Afterglow at Crucible
- Jen Farley at The Bur Oak
- Comedian John Smith at Madison Association of the Deaf
- Line Breaks Hip Hop Theater Festival Showcase at Memorial Union
- CAFE DISCO: An Office Themed Day Party with DJ Tanner at Majestic Theatre
- Camp Createability Pop-Up Art Show at Karben4
- The Cash Box Kings Celebrate New Release With A Live Performance In Madison at The Crystal Corner Bar
- J. Worra at Liquid Madison
- Minnesota Røkkr Home Series: Call of Duty Esports at Orpheum Madison
- Monsters of Poetry at North Street Cabaret
- Phun - A Tribute To Phish at High Noon Saloon
- The SPRING Crafty Fair at Goodman Community Center
- Tony Castaneda Latin Jazz Band - Celebrating 25 Year Anniversary at Cafe CODA
- Wisconsin Arm Wrestling Throwdown at Pitcher's Pub
- International Festival at Overture Center
- Collectibles Flea Market at The Barrymore Theatre
- Oakwood Chamber Players at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Pints & Puzzles - Jigsaw Puzzles & Beer at Starkweather Brewing Company
- Polish Heritage Club Spring Festival at Immaculate Heart of Mary School
- ROC Your World Drag Show at The Bur Oak
- YAMATO the Drummers of Japan at Overture Center
- International Festival at Overture Center
🐶 Friday Floof
We've made it thought the week, which can only mean it's time for some floof. Meet Moo. According to her human Barbara, this sweet girl is sensitive, smart, and loves listening to live music. Sounds like my kind of gal.
😸 Do you have a floof to share with the Madison Minutes community? Fill out this form for the opportunity to be featured.
📝 Miss a Minute?
Check out the headlines from our last newsletter.
- A look at the potential impact of the statewide referendums.
- Three Madison chefs are on the short list for the 2023 James Beard Awards.
- A local TikToker is working to raise $1 million for transgender health.
- Your lunchtime read: Black-inspired, Black-designed and Black-led, the Center for Black Excellence & Culture plans on being a game changer.