Ward off any Sunday scaries by checking out these event suggestions for the week ahead.
Have a good week!
- Indigenous Winter Market at giige. Local and regional Indigenous artists, makers, and producers. Thursday and Friday.
- UJAMAA Holiday Market. Saturday and Sunday. Shop Black-owned small businesses, plus caroling and food.
Monday, Dec. 13
- Lecture: How Teacher Strikes Shape Congressional Election Campaigns with UW’s department of education policy studies. 12-1:30 p.m. Free.
- Jewop Winter 2021 at Memorial Union. 7 p.m. Tickets start at $12, with discount for university affiliations.
- Madison StorySlam: Wisdom at High Noon Saloon. Open mic performers share a five-minute story about lore. Doors 6:30 p.m., show at 7 p.m. $15.
Tuesday, Dec. 14
- Coffee with a Cop at MPD - East. 10 a.m. Free. Virtual option available.
- BeneBlends on Junction Rd. grand opening and ribbon cutting. 12-1 p.m.
- Four Christmases (2008) screening at Alicia Ashman Library. From IMDb: “A couple struggles to visit all four of their divorced parents on Christmas.” 1 p.m. Free.
- Public information meeting: resurfacing streets in Madison. City staff will go over projects and information about the projects planned in the 2022 Resurfacing Program. 5 p.m. Virtual.
- Cocktails with the Author: George Hesselberg at Leopold's Books Bar Caffè. Meet Hesselberg and get a signed copy of his book “Dead Lines: Slices of Life from the Obit Beat.” 6 p.m. Free.
- Groove Roulette: Season 2 Finale LIVE!! at Bos Meadery. 7 p.m. $5 advance, $10 at the door.
- The Office themed trivia at the Rigby. Themed prizes for the top 3 teams and best team name. 7 p.m.
- Workshop: building beautiful cheese boards. Hosted by Edible Madison, Roth Cheese and Tricky Foods. Virtual. 7 p.m. $15.
Wednesday, Dec. 15
- Happy (Belated 250th) Birthday Beethoven! concert by Madison Symphony Orchestra. Two shows: 4:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. $15.
- Webinar: Kids in the Kitchen: Cookie Craze. "The Kids Chef" Lily Kilfoy will lead the class in baking cookies from scratch. 5 p.m. $10 for Owners; $20 for non-owners.
- Holiday Cocktail Class at Garver Lounge. 2-3 hour class. Take home recipes, bitters and sweet vermouth so you are ready to recreate cocktails at home. 5 p.m. $160 for 2 people.
- Vinyl Night at Bierock. Bring your own vinyl records to spin. Every customer that brings in a record will receive Happy Hour pricing on beer and one half price appetizer. 6-10 p.m.
- Essensual Beatz plays a live performance at The Brink Lounge Thursday December 16th 7-9pm, no cover.WheelHouse at the Bur Oak. Americana and bluegrass band. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. $10 advance, $12 at door.
- JD McPherson with Joel Paterson at the Majestic. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. $25.
Thursday, Dec. 16
- DANEnet Free Tech Repair at Lakeview Library. 2-4 p.m. No appointment needed.
- Brewers Series: An Evening of Small Batch Beers and Music at Karben4. Taste new, small batch draft beers and offer feedback. Doors and beers at 3 p.m. Music starts around 5 p.m.
- Madison Night Market. Local art, live music. The market runs along State Street and Gilman Street. 4-9 p.m. See full list of vendors here.
- Festivus in Monona! by MESBA. Festivus Pole, Airing of Grievances, Feats of Strength, Tacos and other stuff! 5:30-9:30 p.m.
- Cooking with the Cap Times: Liz Kirkland. Food editor Lindsay Christians will host Liz Kirkland of Madison Sourdough for a delicious holiday edition of Cooking with the Cap Times. 6 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- A Very Funkee Joey B. Christmas at High Noon Saloon. Doors at 6 p.m., show at 7 p.m. $12 advance, $15 at door.
- Essensual Beatz at The Brink Lounge. 7-9 p.m. no cover.
- Morgan James: A Very Magnetic Christmas Tour at the Bur Oak. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $15.
- Holiday Brew ‘n View: “Elf” at The Majestic. 6:30 p.m. $5.
- Adult Board Game Night at Sequoya Library. 6:30-8 p.m. Free.
- Dane County Board of Supervisors meeting. 7 p.m. Virtual. More info here.
Friday, Dec. 17
- Tani Diakite Band at Café Coda. Doors at 5 p.m., show at 7 p.m. $5.
- The Apartment screening at UW Cinematheque. Doors at 6:30 p.m., screening at 7 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Steely Dane "Holidane" Show at the Majestic. Doors at 6:30 p.m., show at 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $14.
- Outlaw Night: A Tribute to Willie, Waylon, Johnny and the Hanks at High Noon Saloon. Doors at 6:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. $10.
- Opening night of The Nutcracker from Madison Ballet at the Overture Center. 7 p.m. Tickets start at $16.
- BingBong and The German Art Students at Bos Meadery. Release show for their split 7″ vinyl recording. Show at 8 p.m. $10. 🟠
- Christopher Titus at the Barrymore. 8 p.m. Tickets start at $28.
- Bottoms Up Aerial Burlesque holiday show at The Crucible. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. $10.
- The Immaculate Beings w/ The Lower 5th at Harmony Bar & Grill. 9 p.m.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show at Crucible featuring the cast of Madison's Velvet. Doors at 11:30 p.m., show at 12 a.m. $8.
Saturday, Dec. 18
- Holiday Market by Dane County Farmers’ Market at Monona Terrace. 7:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Photos with Santa at Madison Children's Museum. Organized by the Progress Center for Black Women. 11 a.m-2 p.m. Free with admission.
- UW Russian Folk Orchestra concert at Grace Episcopal Church. 12 p.m. Free.
- Full Moon Night Walk at UW arboretum. 4:30 p.m. Free.
- Mead and Metal Fest 2021 at Bos Meadery. Lineup: Lo-Fi Killers, Sabotage, Tubal Cain, Droids Attack. $10 advance, $15 at door. 7 p.m.
- Opening Night of Snow White and the Seven Superheroes. 7 p.m. Tickets start at $10.
- Myspace Emo Prom ft. Taking Back Emo at the Bur Oak. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. $16 advance, $20 at door.
- Tony Barba Trio at Audio for the Arts. Show at 8 p.m. $15. 🟠
- JAMS: Asher Grey, DJ UMI, Azza at Robinia Courtyard. Show at 10 p.m. $10. 🟠
Sunday, Dec. 19
- UW Winter Commencement for all degree types. Doors open at 8 a.m., ceremony starts at 10 a.m. Manu Raju, CNN’s chief congressional correspondent, will be commencement speaker.
- Ugly Sweater Party at the Rigby. 12 p.m. Cheer on the Packers game in your ugly sweater, with proceeds benefiting Dane County Humane Society.
- Gerri DiMaggio at Olbrich Botanical Garden. Part of holiday concert series. 2 p.m. tickets not required, $3 Suggested Donation.
- The Bridge with Keefe Jackson, Dave Rempis, Christine Wodraska, Didier Lasserre, Peter Orins at North Street Cabaret. Show at 7 p.m. 🟠
- The NYChillharmonic with Band Practice at the Bur Oak. Doors 7 p.m., show 8 p.m. $15 in advance, $20 at door.
Wondering what that 🟠 means?
That symbol next to an event listing means that Tone Madison’s team of writers and editors recommends checking it out. Tone knows Madison’s arts and music landscape better than anybody else.
Sign up for the Tone weekly newsletter here.
🍸 Have you heard about the Botanist Social?
It's a relatively new cocktail bar on State Street. Gin cocktails are the bar's speciality. Read more in thie in this Madison Magazine article.