I spent the weekend catching up on all the articles I've bookmarked over the past couple of weeks.
My favorite thing that I read was this Cap Times review of Botanist Social, a new gin bar on State Street. Apparently, they have over 60 different kinds of gin. 👀
Have a good week!
- Hairspray at the Overture Center. Shows Tuesday through Sunday.
- Brian Simpson at Comedy on State. Shows Thursday through Sunday.
- Progress Center for Black Women's Open House Week through Saturday.
Monday, Feb. 21
Tuesday, Feb. 22
- Lunch with a Founder: Jason Weaver. Organized by StartingBlock Madison. 12 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- The State of the Tribes address at the Capitol. 1 p.m. Virtual option.
- Presentation: Supporting the Growth of Wisconsin’s Maple Syrup Industry. 3 p.m. Virtual. Free.
Wednesday, Feb. 23
- Webinar: Navigating WI State Government for Small Business with Main Street Alliance. 12 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- Senior Scams: A Presentation from the Better Business Bureau in partnership with the Madison Public Library. 1 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- Fantastic Ferns and How to Grown Them class at Olbrich Botanical Gardens. 6 p.m. $20 per non-member, $16 per Olbrich members.
- Horse Jumper of Love, Hayden Pedigo, MJ Lenderman at Union South Sett. 7 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Jake La Botz at the Bur Oak. 8 p.m. $12 advance, $15 at door.
Thursday, Feb. 24
- The Fly Fishing Film Tour 2022 at the Barrymore. 7:30 p.m. $20.
- Bamboozled (2002) screening and Melanin In Media Panel at Union South Marquee. Screening at 6 p.m., panel discussion to follow. Free. 🟠
- The Weather Station, Helena Deland at High Noon Saloon. Show at 8 p.m. $20. 🟠
- Metro Transit community meeting about the network redesign plan. 6 p.m. Virtual.
- Inventing the Laser-cut 'Hello Loom' to Make Weaving Accessible. 7 p.m. Virtual option. Free.
- Curator’s Conversations: Seeing Audubon with Emily Arthur and Robin Rider at the Chazen. Two times: 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Free. Pre-registration required.
Friday, Feb. 25
- Blue Note Ensemble & Afro-Cuban Jazz Ensemble at Tandem Press. 5-7 p.m. Virtual option. 🟠
- Masterworks II: Harp and Haydn with the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra. 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $15.
- SOLD OUT
Beach House at the Sylvee. Show at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $35.
Saturday, Feb. 26
- Dane County Farmers’ Market Late Winter Market at Garver Feed Mill. 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Free admission.
- Learn to Cold Weather Camp with Madison Parks at Vilas (Henry) Park. 10 a.m. Free. Pre-registration required.
- Drag Bingo Hosted by Bianca Lynn Breeze at the Bur Oak. 12 p.m. $15 admission.
- Thrival Tools: On Indigenous Winter Survival and Brilliance at Central Library. 6 p.m. Free. 🟠
- World premiere of “Leaders of Madison’s Black Renaissance.” 7 p.m. Free.
- Allison Russell, SistaStrings at Stoughton Opera House. 7:30 p.m. $25. 🟠
- Leslie Damaso with Mr. Chair and Sahada Buckley at Hamel Music Center. Music at 7:30 p.m. $13, free for students. 🟠
- Miles Over Mountains, Craig Baumann & The Story, and the Milbillies at High Noon Saloon. Show at 8 p.m. $10 advance, $15 at door.
- Sal Vulcano at the Barrymore. 10 p.m. Tickets start at $39.75.
Sunday, Feb. 27
- International Polar Bear Day celebration at Henry Vilas Zoo. 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Story time, demonstrations, polar bear facts (nice), and a seal training session.
- Garden Stroll at UW Arboretum. 1 p.m. Free.
- Robot Jox (1989) screening at the Chazen. 2 p.m. Free. Read more about UW Cinematheque's Stuart Gordon series here. 🟠
- Week 5 of the Winter Festival of Poetry. 8-week series features six poets each week, reading for roughly 10-12 minutes each. 2 p.m. Free.
- Crafty Jam Session at Harmony Bar & Grill. "An opportunity to get together with other adults and make stuff." $10. 2-4 p.m.
- New Music Series: Peter Dominguez at Arts + Literature Laboratory. Show at 5 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Rachel Baiman at the North Street Cabaret. Part of the Sugar Maple Concert Series. 7 p.m. $13 in advance, $20 at door.
- Ryan Acker + Laney Lou & the Bird Dogs at the Bur Oak. Show at 8 p.m. $10 advance, $12 at door.
📡 On our radar...
- The Big Share on March 1.
- World Championship Cheese Contest on March 1-3.
- Beth Stelling at Comedy on State on March 3-5.
Patton Oswalt at the Orpheum on March 4.
- Alton Brown Live: Beyond The Eats at the Overture Center on March 6.
Wondering what that 🟠 means?
That symbol next to an event listing means that Tone Madison’s team of writers and editors recommends checking it out. Tone knows Madison’s arts and music landscape better than anybody else.
Sign up for the Tone Madison weekly newsletter here.