It's Winter Restaurant Week, which means a bunch of local restaurants are offering special deals and deep discounts. Here's the list of places that are open for takeout orders.
Have a good week!
- Winter Restaurant Week through Friday.
- Jackie Kashian at Comedy on State. Shows Thursday through Saturday.
- SunSquabi at the Majestic on Friday and Saturday.
Monday, Jan. 24
- Open Mic Comedy Night at The Bur Oak. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. Free.
- Madison Minutes interviews UW-Madison student newspaper leaders. We'll be talking with the leaders of the Daily Cardinal and The Badger Herald about all things UW in 2022. 7 p.m. Virtual. Free.
Tuesday, Jan. 25
- Presentation: "The Story behind the Stories" with Wisconsin Public Radio reporter Bridgit Bowden. Part of Badger Talks series. 12 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- MLK Symposium: An Evening with Nikole Hannah-Jones at Wisconsin Union Theater. 6:30 p.m. Free. Virtual option. 🟠
- Indigenous Storytelling Series: Michael Laughing Fox Charette. "Poetry, flute, drum, and storytelling performances that weave Indigenous teachings into a modern day context." Organized by the Wisconsin Historical Society. 7 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- 90's Trivia at the Rigby. 7-9 p.m.
Wednesday, Jan. 26
- The Brook & The Bluff w/ Izzy Heltai at High Noon Saloon. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. $15 advance, $18 at door.
- Presentation: “Electric Vehicles & The Road Ahead” with solar energy advocate Bruce Johnson. Part of the Wednesday Nite @ The Lab series. 7 p.m. Virtual option. Free.
- Patty Griffin with special guest Parker Millsap at the Barrymore. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $27.
Thursday, Jan. 27
- 2 Things From 3 Distilleries: A Whiskey Tasting at The Malt House. "Join us in a whiskey sampling featuring tasty goods from our friends at Dancing Goat, J Henry, and Buffalo Trace." 5:30-8 p.m. $24.
- Matthew Logan Vasquez at High Noon Saloon. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $20.
- Third Coast Percussion with Movement Art Is at Hamel Music Center. Music at 7:30 p.m. $27-$45. 🟠
- Insidious: Revelations at Crucible Madison. "A night of hard dance, dark psy, goth, and industrial music while you engulf yourself into the darkness!" 9 p.m. $5.
Friday, Jan. 28
- Cast iron mold design class at Olbrich Gardens. "Learn creative techniques for how to build a unique 7x7 inch cast iron relief sculpture mold using oil clay." $85. 4:30 p.m.
- Groove & Glide at Vilas (Henry) Park. Ice skating at night! 6 p.m. Free.
- Drive My Car (2021) screening at UW Cinematheque. From IMDb: "Yusuke Kafuku is a stage actor and director happily married to his playwright wife. Then one day she disappears. 7 p.m. 🟠
- Masterworks I: The Triple with Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra. 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $15.
- Vincent Davis at North Street Cabaret. 8 p.m. $20.
- CANCELLED R̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶T̶a̶l̶k̶:̶ ̶A̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶n̶d̶-̶U̶p̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶S̶t̶o̶r̶y̶t̶e̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶E̶v̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶O̶l̶d̶ ̶S̶u̶g̶a̶r̶ ̶D̶i̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶e̶r̶y̶.̶ ̶"̶A̶n̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶r̶u̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶A̶N̶D̶ ̶c̶r̶y̶!̶"̶ ̶D̶o̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶7̶:̶3̶0̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶,̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶8̶ ̶p̶.̶m̶.̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶ ̶a̶d̶v̶a̶n̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶$̶1̶5̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶r̶.̶
- Rhythm & Soul with D'Funk & the Grease Monkeys, K.I.L.O aka SkitL'z, Wurk at Harmony Bar & Grill. 9 p.m. $12 advance, $15 at door. 🟠
- Uncle JIM and JF Zastrow at Dark Horse ArtBar. 8:30 p.m.
- Throwback Night at The Wisco. 90s, 00s, and more throwback hits. Doors at 8 p.m., show at 9 p.m. $5.
Saturday, Jan. 29
- Madison Card Show at the Sheraton on John Nolen. 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Free admission.
- Kids Ice Fishing Day at Brittingham park. First 300 kids get a free rod and reel. Bait, holes, and fishing instruction will be provided. 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Dane County Farmers’ Market Late Winter Market at Garver Feed Mill. 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Free admission.
- The Jerry Ensemble virtual concert. Part of the Kids in the Rotunda series. 9:30 a.m. Free.
- Wisconsin Grown Up Book Festival at the Sylvee. Organizers are “bringing the childhood joy of the Scholastic book fair back to adults” with local book vendors, a photo booth featuring a 90’s laser background, a bar featuring “Adult Capri Suns,” and a vintage market. 12-5 p.m. $25 admission.
- "Summer in the Snow" at The Boneyard. "Put on your snowsuit and come party like you're in a tropical paw-idise!" 1-5 p.m. Regular admission fees apply.
- Slaughterhouse-Five (1972) screening at UW Cinematheque. 4 p.m. Free.
- Acoustic Moose with Essensual Beatz from Audio for the Arts. Virtual. 5 p.m. Free.
- Church of Cash at High Noon Saloon. Doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m. $12 advance, $15 at door.
- Kurt Vonnegut: Unstuck in Time (2021) screening at UW Cinematheque. From IMDb: “Recounting the extraordinary life of author Kurt Vonnegut, and the 25-year friendship with the filmmaker who set out to document it.” 7 p.m. Free. 🟠
Sunday, Jan. 30
- Coloring & Cocktails with local artist Angela Johnson at Leopold's Books Bar Caffè. “Join local artist Angela Johnson to purchase (and color!) Zinn Preserve Coloring Book.” 1-4 p.m.
- Nature Hike at the Arboretum. Learn about the land; plants, animals, and fungi; phenology; and ecological practices and concepts. Free, no registration required. 1-2:30 p.m.
- Week 2 of the Winter Festival of Poetry. 8-week series features six poets each week, reading for roughly 10-12 minutes each. 2 p.m. Free.
- Fortress (1992) screening at The Chazen. From IMDb: “In a future, private underground prison/Fortress, the inmates are computer controlled with CCTV, dream readers and devices that can cause pain or death.” 2 p.m. Free. 🟠
📡 On our radar...
- Children’s book publishing class with DreamBank on Feb. 2.
- Bloody Mary Throwdown featuring several local restaurants on Feb. 6.
- Smartless podcast tour comes to Madison on Feb. 9.
- PBS Wisconsin Garden and Landscape Expo is Feb 11-13.
- Patton Oswalt on March 4.
Wondering what that 🟠 means?
That symbol next to an event listing means that Tone Madison’s team of writers and editors recommends checking it out. Tone knows Madison’s arts and music landscape better than anybody else.
Sign up for the Tone weekly newsletter here.