We've got a few dozen events for you to check out this week.
As a reminder, you can share events with us using this form. We'd love to hear about any and all local events.
Have a good week,
- Raanan Hershberg at Comedy on State. Shows Thursday through Saturday. Tickets start at $5.
- Frozen Assets Festival hosted by Clean Lakes Alliance on Saturday and Sunday. 5k, winter sports, education events. Free and family-friendly.
- Monsters of Destruction monster truck show at Aliant Energy Center on Saturday and Sunday.
Monday, Jan. 31
- COVID-19 vaccination clinic at Madison Children’s Museum. Pre-registration required. 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Wild Rivers with Corey Harper at High Noon Saloon. Show at 8 p.m. $19 advance, $21 at door.
- Author Talk: John Nichols with Room of One’s Own and The Progressive. Virtual. 7 p.m. Free.
Tuesday, Feb. 1
- Public Domain Movie Night: Night of the Living Dead (1968) at Bierock. From IMDb: "A ragtag group of Pennsylvanians barricade themselves in an old farmhouse to remain safe from a horde of flesh-eating ghouls that are ravaging the East Coast of the United States." 8 p.m. Free.
- Opening reception for “Honoring the Black Women” art exhibit at Madison College. 5-7 p.m. Free.
Wednesday, Feb. 2
- Clean Lakes 101: Love in the Lakes. "Learn more about the relationships and reproduction habits of some of our most common underwater dwellers." 8 a.m. Virtual. Free.
- Five facts to Publishing Your Children’s Picture Book. Organized by DreamBank. 6 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- Cooking class: Chocolate Truffles at Willy Street Co-op (West). 6 p.m. $20 for owners, $30 for non-owners.
- The German Art Students and Moonbot at The Bur Oak. Show at 7 p.m. $10 advance, $12 at door.
- Hippie Sabotage at The Sylvee. Show at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $29.
- Mitigation Strategies for Dairy Farms. Part of the Wednesday Nite @ The Lab series. 7 p.m. Virtual option. Free.
- Northside Arts Social at Bear & Bottle. An opportunity to mingle with the creative community. 7 p.m. No admission fee.
Thursday, Feb. 3
- Culture and Conservation: Black Communities Advancing Environmental Justice and Stewardship." Organized by UW Arboretum. 10 a.m. Virtual. $10.
- Be a Burnout Mastermind: Lessons Learned from an ICU Nurse. Organized by DreamBank. 12 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- Flying Fuzz with Calamity and Smoke Free Home at The Bur Oak. Show at 8 p.m. $10 advance, $12 at the door. 🟠
- Aaron Kamm and the One Drops at High Noon Saloon. Show at 8 p.m. $12.
- Russell Dickerson at The Sylvee. Show at 8 p.m. $25 advance, $30 at door.
- Dancing With the Stars Live Tour at the Overture Center. 8 p.m. Tickets start at $49.50.
Friday, Feb. 4
- Groove & Glide at Olbrich Park Winter Shelter. Ice skating at night! 6-8 p.m. Free.
- In The Heat Of The Night (1967) screening at Union South Marquee. From IMDb: "A black Philadelphia police detective is mistakenly suspected of a local murder while passing through a racially hostile Mississippi town, and after being cleared is reluctantly asked by the police chief to investigate the case." 6:30 p.m. Free. 🟠
- The Montauk Project at The Bur Oak. Show at 8 p.m. $15. 🟠
- Wisconsin Americana Fest at the Majestic featuring Wheelhouse, Pat Ferguson & The Sundown Sound and High & Rising. Show at 7 p.m. $15.
- Earthmother in the Bolz Conservatory at Olbrich Gardens. Part of the Canopy Sessions concert series. 5 p.m.$8 general admission, $4 children ages 6 - 12, children ages 5 & under free.
- The HEART SHOW at Dark Horse ArtBar. "A Valentine's themed art opening featuring 10+ artists presenting you with their interpretations of love, lust and loss." 7 p.m.
- Vinyl and Bass: Dan Efex, Sloth Brigade, Dissolvent at Crucible. Show at 9 p.m. $10. 🟠
Saturday, Feb. 5
- Dane County Farmers’ Market Late Winter Market at Garver Feed Mill. 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Free admission.
- Black Star Drum Line virtual concert. Part of the Kids in the Rotunda series. 9:30 a.m. Free.
- Ask the Trainer - 5 bucks 5 minutes! at bad dog frida. Come with your dog (or not!) and ask a professional dog trainer all your questions. Proceeds will benefit Underdog Pet Rescue of Wisconsin. 1 p.m-4 p.m.
- Fermenting Flavor: The Art & Science Behind Big Beers guided beer tour at Giant Jones Brewing Company. 2:30 p.m. $35.
- Chameleon Street (1989) screening at UW Cinematheque. 7 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Moonlight (2016) screening at Union South Marquee. From IMDb: "A young African-American man grapples with his identity and sexuality while experiencing the everyday struggles of childhood, adolescence, and burgeoning adulthood." 7:30 p.m. Free.
- It’s Britney, Glitz: Drag & Dance Party at the Majestic. Doors at 8 p.m., show at 9 p.m. $10.
- In The Heat Of The Night (1967) screening at Union South Marquee. Screening at 6:30 p.m. Free. From IMDb: "A black Philadelphia police detective is mistakenly suspected of a local murder while passing through a racially hostile Mississippi town, and after being cleared is reluctantly asked by the police chief to investigate the case." 9:30 p.m. Free. 🟠
Sunday, Feb. 6
- Sunday Afternoon Live: Christopher Allen & Juliana Mesa at the Chazen. 12:30 p.m. Free, but pre-registration is required.
- Black History Month Story Time at Madison Children’s Museum. 12 p.m. Free with admission.
- Bloody Mary Throwdown featuring several local restaurants at The Rigby. 2 p.m. $5.
- Week 2 of the Winter Festival of Poetry. 8-week series features six poets each week, reading for roughly 10-12 minutes each. 2 p.m. Free.
📡 On our radar...
- Winter Carnival is Feb. 7-12.
- PBS Wisconsin Garden and Landscape Expo is Feb 11-13.
- Celebration of Black Music on Feb. 11.
- The Madison Makers Valentine's Market Feb. 12.
- Pour'n Yer Heart Out on Feb 19.
Wondering what that 🟠 means?
That symbol next to an event listing means that Tone Madison’s team of writers and editors recommends checking it out. Tone knows Madison’s arts and music landscape better than anybody else.
Sign up for the Tone Madison weekly newsletter here.
💮 Tired of the cold?
Drop by the Bolz Conservatory at Olbrich Botanical Gardens this month for a refreshingly tropical break from the Wisconsin winter. The Orchid Escape experience features over 700 orchids. General admission is $6. Admission is free for Olbrich members and kids under 5.