Events this week: May 2
The "on our radar" section is making a triumphant return to the newsletter this week. Due to the finite limits of time and space, I had to pause it for a while. But it's back now! Three cheers for being able to think more than one week ahead.
Monday, May 2
- A Conversation with Washington Post columnist Catherine Rampell, UW–Madison’s spring 2022 Public Affairs Journalist in Residence. 6 p.m. Virtual. Free.
- Aimee Mann, Jonathan Coulton at Stoughton Opera House. 7:30 p.m. $50. 🟠
- Leon Bridges at The Sylvee. Music at 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $69.50.
Tuesday, May 3
- Star Wars Trivia at The Rigby. 7-9 p.m.
- Public Domain Movie Night: Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women (1968) at Bierock. From IMDb: “Astronauts landing on Venus encounter dangerous creatures and almost meet some sexy Venusian women who like to sun-bathe in hip-hugging skin-tight pants and seashell brassieres.” 8 p.m. Free.
- Grown Up Improv Show at the High Noon Saloon. Classic improv games and more in two whole acts of hilarious improv comedy. Show at 7:30 p.m. $15.
- Alec Benjamin at The Sylvee. Music at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $29.50.
Wednesday, May 4
- La Follette Forum: American Power, Prosperity, and Democracy at Monona Terrace. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. 🟠
- The Wednesday Dane County Farmers’ Market on the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. 8:30 a.m - 1:45 pm
- Evan and Tom Leahy at Olin-Turville Park. Irish folk/rock due. Part of Friends of Olin Turville Spring Concert Series. 6-8 p.m. Free.
- “Beat the Brewer” at I/O Arcade Bar. Play the Great Lakes Brewing brewing team in a game of your choice. If you win, you get a free beer. 6-9 p.m.
- 81355, Supa Friends at High Noon Saloon. Music at 8 p.m. $10 advance, $12 doors. 🟠
- Three Days Grace at The Sylvee. Music at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $35.
Thursday, May 5
- Mix & Mingle with the Out Professional Engagement Network at The Rigby.
- Bake-Along with The Baked Lab. Virtual baking workshop. 6 p.m. Free.
- Geoff Brady & Friends at Gates of Heaven. 7 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Ben Rector at The Sylvee. Music at 7 p.m. Tickets start at $35.
Friday, May 6
- Gallery Night at venues all around town. Organized by MMoCA. 5-9 p.m. Gallery shows and artist talks.
Wild At Heart at UW Cinematheque. 7 p.m. Free. 🟠
- Anjelah Johnson-Reyes at The Barrymore. 7 p.m. Tickets start at
- Control, Traindodge at Revolution Cycles. 7 p.m. 🟠
- Ron's Supper Club, No Tagbacks, Educational Davis at The Rigby. Music at 8 p.m. Belated CD-release show for Educational Davis' 2020 album, Navigation 🟠
Saturday, May 7
- Hill Farms Spring Art Walk & Sale. 30+ artists. 9:30 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- UW Family Gardening Day. Hands-on activities with seeds, plants and soil. 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. Free.
- Madison Makers Spring Market. Vendors set up at area bars and breweries. No admission fees. See full map of participating locations here. 12-5 p.m.
- A Tour of the Mounds of the Mendota State Hospital Grounds. Usually off-limits to the public. 1 p.m. Free.
- Communication Arts Spring 2022 Showcase at Union South Marquee. 7 p.m. Free. 🟠
- WORT FM Benefit at North Street Cabaret. 7 p.m. $10 advance, $12 doors. 🟠
- Kassa Overall, Rob Dz at Arts + Literature Laboratory. Music at 7 p.m. $20 advance, $25 doors. 🟠
- Drake White at the Majestic. Show at 8 p.m.
Sunday, May 8
- Mother’s Day Drag Brunch at the Bur Oak. Show at 11:30 a.m. $10 admission.
- The Rock and Roll Playhouse plays the music of the Beatles for kids at High Noon Saloon. 11 a.m. $15.
- Ensemble in Process: Surrealist Dreamscapes at Arts + Literature Laboratory. 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. shows. $12 advance, $15 doors per show. 🟠
📡 On our radar
- "Birding is for Everyone" Presentation on May 10.
- UW Commencement on May 13 and 14.
- An Evening with Neil Gaiman on May 15.
- Art Into Action: Drawing Awareness to Childhood Lead Poisoning in Wisconsin on May 19.
- The Mountain Goats on May 21.
- Record Sale Event from Communication on May 21.
- Bastille at The Sylvee on June 1.
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
📨 Need something else? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.