Goooooood morning, Madison!
Did everyone have a nice long weekend?
It feels good to be back. Here's your reminder that today is in fact Tuesday, and not Monday.
On this fine Tuesday, I need to give a HUGE thank you to the 36 people who became paying Madison Minutes members over the weekend! You are the oil that keeps this machine running, you are the fire that keeps us going. Thank you.
We’ve been cooking up a lot behind the scenes and can’t want to share them all with you! For now, let’s dive into the news.
🚫 Street closure to watch.
- Beginning this morning, South Henry Street at the intersection of West Washington Ave. (pictured above) will be closed for construction. The city anticipates work will be completed and the street will be open again by the end of the month.
📣 The nurses have put in their notice.
- Nurses with UW Health gave their official strike notice last week. Hundreds of nurses are prepared to walk out Sept. 13-16, making the effort Wisconsin’s largest strike for union recognition in at least 50 years, WORT reports.
- Some context: The nurses overwhelmingly approved a strike in August after hospital officials failed to recognize their union. More than 1,500 nurses have signed union cards. UW Health nurses have been fighting for unionization for years but the issue intensified with the Covid-19 pandemic. The nurses once had a union but it was dismantled in 2014.
"When my nurse colleagues and I see potentially preventable patient care problems occur day after day because of extreme understaffing, it is damaging to our psyche and our very soul. This is not how our healthcare system should be run, and we refuse to accept this as the 'new normal.'" — Amanda Klinge, UW Health nurse
😷 Get free Covid-19 tests from DHS.
- Every household in Wisconsin is eligible for an order of five free Covid-19 tests, courtesy of the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
- Order your tests here.
🏈 The Badgers had a good weekend.
- The No. 18 Wisconsin Badgers beat Illinois State 38-0 at Camp Randall Stadium over the weekend, breaking records in the process.
- Safety John Torchio broke the school record for longest pick six and sophomore running back Braelon Allen broke a school record when he made a 96-yard touchdown run.
🔑 Do you want to buy a home in the next few years?
- Saving for a home has always been challenging, but it’s only gotten more difficult in recent years.
- That’s why Bank of Sun Prairie compiled advice for people trying to save for a big purchase.
- Learn how to save smarter.
🥪 Hello, Hot Lunch.
- A new restaurant is moving into 708 1/4 E. Johnson St., the former home to Forequarter and more recently Hone. The State Journal reports the new spot is called Hot Lunch and will serve an "elevated" version of, well, a hot lunch (think sandwiches, salads, fish sticks, and pizza).
- The owners hope to have the restaurant open by Oct. 1.
Your lunchtime read: Ope! Sorry, I'm going to need you to explain what that word means and where it came from.
- Via WPR: "Diane Flath grew up in Wisconsin hearing and saying the word ‘ope.’
It was about a year ago when someone sent her a Charlie Berens video embracing the word and its role in the Midwest. [...]
Flath had questions about this word, so she reached out to Wisconsin Public Radio's WHYsconsin: ‘I want to know where it came from. Why do we say it all the time? And why did it all of a sudden become more popular, more well known, recently? Why is it here?’’”
📅 Events: Tuesday
- Enigma: The Prints of David Lynch at Tandem Press
- KARAOKE NIGHT! at The Bur Oak
- Snailmate at The Rigby
- The 3 R's of Poetry at Dark Horse Art bar
- Badger Fest 2022 at Union South
- Bill Roberts Combo at Up North
- DJ Goldiloxx at The Rigby
- Freedy Johnston at The Bur Oak
- Nerd Nite at High Noon Saloon
- Urban League of Greater Madison Young Professionals' Networking Event at Cafe CODA
📣 Want to help spread the word?
We've created a flyer to promote our free email newsletters. We're posting it around town, but we could use your help, too!
We're making the flyer available to download so you can post it wherever you want. Here's some ideas:
- Apartment lobbies
- Break rooms at work
- Public bathrooms
- Private bathrooms
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
⏪ Miss a day? Catch up on past newsletters here.
💙 Did a friend forward you this? Sign up for our email newsletters here.
📨 Need something else? Email us at email@example.com.