It's UW-Madison homecoming weekend
Morning update: Friday, Oct. 21
In this newsletter
Happy Friday, friends!
And a happy homecoming to all my fellow Badgers out there.
It's homecoming week on campus. This weekend is full of plenty of events to get you into the Wisconsin state of mind as the Badgers face off against Purdue Saturday.
Tonight, State Street will be filled with bands, Bucky, the UW Spirit Squad, floats, and more for the UW Homecoming Parade. Festivities kick off at 6 p.m.
Want more? You can check out all the events happening throughout the weekend here. For some fun homecoming-inspired reading, check out this piece from Madison Magazine on other UW-Madison traditions.
P.S. ICYMI: We announced some pretty exciting news about our partnership with City Cast yesterday. Read about it here.
Madison Minutes thanks our advertising partners. Become one.
🎥 Madison is losing another movie theater.
- The AMC Madison 6 in Hilldale, formerly known as Sundance Cinemas 608, will close at the end of the year.
- Why? There are some big redevelopment plans already in the works at Hilldale. There was a chance for AMC to renew its lease but the business decided not to do so, according to the Cap Times.
- This is the second Madison movie theater to announce its closure in 2022. Budget theater Market Square Cinemas abruptly closed for good in February, striking a hard blow to the city's already-limited movie theater offerings.
🚨 Fake school shooting calls were reported across the state.
- More than a dozen false reports of violence at Wisconsin schools were made to law agencies Thursday, including in Madison. Law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, investigated and found that the false calls were made as part of a "swatting" campaign.
- in response to the calls police patrols were increased around East High School as a precaution but no credible threats were found, Channel 3000 reports.
- Falsely reporting an emergency to law enforcement is a crime in Wisconsin.
- NEW: 10 Financial Terms for Savvy Money Management
- Budgeting 101
- Best Ways to Save for a Home Without Even Noticing
- Want to learn more? Bank of Sun Prairie's Financial Fitness Center offers 50+ digital short courses in English and Spanish.
🖊 A look at the three referendums on the ballot in Dane County.
- Have we mentioned recently there's an election coming up? In addition to the candidates, there will be three non-binding referendums on all ballots in Dane County.
- Marijuana: Two of the referendum questions surround marijuana legalization. The first question asks if marijuana should be "legalized, taxed, and regulated in the same manner as alcohol for adults 21 years of age or older?" The second asks if "all records of previous convictions for marijuana possession in small amounts" in Wisconsin should be expunged.
- Abortion: The other referendum question asks voters if Wisconsin’s 19th-century abortion ban should be repealed.
- Since these questions are non-binding, the outcome of the votes won't change any laws.
- Then what's the point? The civic exercise is designed more so to gather voter opinions.
Check your voter registration here.
Get the details on voter IDs here.
Meet the candidates here.
🔬 Curious to know if there's PFAS near you?
- The Wisconsin Department of Natural resources recently launched a PFAS tracking map to help people better keep tabs on the “forever chemicals.”
- The PFAS Interactive Data Viewer provides interactive and up-to-date data detailing where PFAS is currently a problem.
- What are PFAS? PFAS, or perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, are a group of human-made chemicals used in many products — from fire extinguishing foam to food packaging — that don't break down naturally in the environment. They can cause severe negative health impacts on humans.
🚒 The Coolest Thing Made in Wisconsin is an electric fire truck.
- A while back we told you about the search to find the “Coolest Thing Made in Wisconsin.” Well, after more than 150,000 votes were tallied, Appleton-based Pierce Manufacturing’s electric fire truck won the title.
- It's the first zero-emissions electric fire truck in service in North America. Fire departments in Madison, Portland, Oregon, and Gilbert, Arizona all use the novel technology.
👋 Your lunchtime read: A ‘Midwest goodbye’: The town of Madison merges with Madison and Fitchburg.
- Via Cap Times: "Those driving on town of Madison streets likely don’t know they’re traversing between city of Madison and town jurisdictions, complicating local services, such as police and fire department assistance. But those who’ve grown up in the town know it as home; a small urban community with just over 6,000 people who are as close knit as it gets. [...]
But at the end of the month, the town of Madison will cease to exist, incorporating into the cities of Madison and Fitchburg, and residents are preparing to say farewell."
- Related: The difference between the Town and the City of Madison
- Adrienne Iapalucci at Comedy on State
- Adult Swim: Halloweird at Madison Children's Museum
- Audien at Liquid Madison
- Author Event: Jeannée Sacken with Double Exposure at Kismet Books
- Comedy Night at Harmony Bar at Harmony Bar & Grill
- Demetri Martin at The Barrymore Theatre
- Good Vibes: A Comedy Show at Robinia Courtyard
- Michael Brenneis and the Plutonium Players at Wisconsin Union theater playcircle
- Mr. Chair with Special Guest Darren Sterud at The Bur Oak
- Phun at High Noon Saloon
- R. Richard Wagner Park Dedication at Kerr-Mcgee Triangle Park
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show at Crucible
- Tandem Press Friday Jazz Series at Tandem Press
- 2022 Midwest Video Poetry Fest at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Bent at Bartell Theatre
- Bird & Nature Outing at Aldo Leopold Nature Center
- Cool School at Cafe CODA
- CULT OF LIP + OFF CONTACT + SOOT at Dark Horse Artbar
- DeltaWeen Market at Delta Beer Lab
- Freak Show - Halloween Dance Fitness Party at High Noon Saloon
- Hallowscreamoween at Crucible
- Harmonious Wail at North Street Cabaret
- Haunted Hustle at Keva Sports Center
- Hayrides & Hikes at Cherokee Marsh - North Unit
- Joyann Parker at Red Rooster
- Kat and the Hurricane & Seasaw at Harmony Bar & Grill
- The Knocks x Cannons at The Sylvee
- The Lone Bellow: Love Songs For Losers Tour at Stoughton Opera House
- Old-time Barn Dance at The Old Barn on Capitol View
- Rusko & 12th Planet - Dubplate Special Tour at Liquid Madison
- Saturday Sit: Enjoy Birds and Nature! at Warner Park
- Two Johns & A Nancy with Paul Otteson at Cargo Coffee East
- Wonderground Art Adventures at Madison Children's Museum
- Art of the Needle Embroidery Show at Lutheran Church of the Living Christ
- Chico Freeman at North Street Cabaret
- First Sunday Brunch Jazz Piano Solo feat. Luke Leavitt at Cafe CODA
- Gallery Talk with Dakota Mace & Kyoung Ae Cho at James Watrous Gallery
- Jazz Composition Blitz Finale at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Maygen & The Birdwatcher and High & Rising at High Noon Saloon
- Mortified Live Madison Debut at The Bur Oak
- Oakwood Chamber Players Concert at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Rock & Roll Playhouse plays Talking Heads at High Noon Saloon
- UW Cinematheque: Stuart Gordon Retrospective, Part Three at Chazen Museum of Art
🐶 Friday Floof
We've made it to Friday, which means t's time for some floof! Meet Remy, a corgi mix adopted from Illinois. This sweetie loves carrots and wishes more bars were dog friendly. Me too, Remy. Me too.
😸 Do you have a floof to share with the Madison Minutes community? Fill out this form for the opportunity to be featured.