Good morning, Madison!
It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating the birth of Henry Vilas Zoo's newest primate, Menjadi.
ICYMI: The little girl was born June 11 (hello, fellow Geminis!), and has been inseparable from her mom Chelsea ever since.
Now, the zoo reports our little girl got her first tooth. They grow up so fast, don't they?
🗳 Check out your sample ballot for November.
- Yesterday we reminded you to register to vote. Today, you can prepare to perform your civic duties by reviewing a sample ballot for the upcoming election. Click here to go to the MyVote Wisconsin website and take a look at who's in the running on Nov. 8.
- There are several statewide offices up for election including governor/lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state, and state treasurer. You'll also vote for U.S. Senate, Dane County Sheriff, and, depending on where you live, state senator and representative.
📚 MMSD staffers will get their $5 an hour raise.
- On Monday, the Madison School Board unanimously approved a salary schedule increase for hundreds of staffers across four groups. Educational assistants, school security assistants, clerical staff, and food service workers will make an additional $5 an hour.
- Cap Times reports the raises will cost the district $8.4 million and affects approximately 720 employees. While the vote was unanimous, some board members expressed concerns over the long-term costs of the raises.
- The bigger picture: This wage increase comes after months of advocacy from Madison Teachers Inc. (MTI) and its members amid ongoing staffing shortages in the district. In June, the School Board approved a 3% base wage increase for all staff, below the 4.7% increase MTI argued for.
💸 Centro Hispano is $1 million closer to building its new home.
- The Pleasant T. Rowland Foundation gifted the organization $1 million for it's for its $15 million Campaign CENTRO, which will bring a new 25,000-square-foot facility to the city's south side.
- Madison365 reports Centro Hispano has so far raised more than $12.4 million for the project and hopes to complete fundraising by the end of the year. The new facility will allow Centro Hispano to support an additional 1,000 community members annually, double the number of youth enrolled in after-school and summer programs, and expand its Healthcare Career Program.
🌇 History on East Wilson.
- The Wisconsin Historical Society announced the building that once housed the Madison Saddlery Company on the 300 block of East Wilson Street is now officially listed on the State Register of Historic Places.
- A history lesson: As NBC15 reports, the building first opened in 1907 and housed the only saddlery company in the city at the time. More recently, the building has played home to Rubin’s Furniture, which plans to move out this year.
- What's next? Back in February, a Middleton-based development group proposed plans to turn the historic building into a boutique hotel with 45 rooms, a rooftop patio, and retail space.
🎸 A look back at Madison's musical summer.
- We're closing in on the end of summer and Madison musicians have had a busy season. In this photo essay, Tone Madison reflects on the city's multiple festivals and countless shows that brought out some killer local talent. Check out the images from Disq at Orton Park Fest, Fox Face at the High Noon, Palehound at The Sylvee, and more.
💟 Your lunchtime read: Biden honors Madison resident for decades combatting hate against his Muslim community.
- Via WPR: "Nearly 40 years ago, Masood Akhtar left India driven by his conviction that the United States was the ideal place to practice his religion. But his experience in America hasn't been so simple.
On Thursday, President Joe Biden honored the Madison resident at the White House for spending decades rooting out hate and fear directed at his Muslim community."
📅 Events: Wednesday
- DJ Goldiloxx at The Rigby
- Go Big Read Book Discussion: How the Word is Passed by Clint Smith at Hawthorne Library
- Jim Ripp Solo at Ivory Room Piano Bar
- The Low Czars + Aaron Scholz at The Bur Oak
- Stromkern w/Klack at Crucible
- 13 Months Below Zero at Memorial Union
- Brews and Q's Taproom Trivia at Karben4 Brewing
- Charming Disaster at North Street Cabaret
- El Mercadito at Centro Hispano
- Hollywood Smoke Mini Tour with Smokey Smothers at Mickey's Tavern
- Humbird at High Noon Saloon
- Madison Jazz Orchestra at The Brink Lounge
- Mipso: The Foreign Landers open at Stoughton Opera House
- The Roundup (2022) at UW Cinematheque
- Revolver Open Mic Comedy at The Rigby
- Schlock and Awe at The Rigby Pub and Grill
- SummerJam 2022 with Steez and Pine Travelers at Majestic Madison
- Thursday's Happier Hour at High Noon Saloon
- Trivia Night on King Street! at Madison's
📝 Miss a Minute? Check out yesterday's newsletter.
🗣️ Want your message to reach Madison? Learn about our advertising options.
⏪ Miss a day? Catch up on past newsletters here.
💙 Did a friend forward you this? Sign up for our email newsletters here.
📨 Need something else? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.