Lights, camera, film fest
Today marks the start of the Wisconsin Film Festival.
In this newsletter
Good morning, Madison!
Today marks the start of the Wisconsin Film Festival. The eight-day affair is now 25 years old and this year's festival features more than 160 films.
This will be the festival's last year using the theaters at Hilldale (formerly home to AMC and Sundance). Fittingly, the festival will screen The Last Picture Show on the final night at Hilldale.
You can check out the full film guide here. While you're at it, have a listen to our friends at City Cast chat with the festival's director about this year's shows.
P.S. Don't forget you can buy a Madison Minutes hat now.
🎲 A game of chance decided District 14's new alder.
- A recount of the district's ballots resulted in a tie between the two candidates, each with 1,384 votes. The recount process took over eight hours, according to Cap Times.
- Isadore Knox Jr. was declared the winner after a piece of paper with his name on it was drawn from a bag by election officials to break the tie. Every vote counts, y'all!
🔥 Dane County is facing elevated wildfire conditions.
- The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources put much of the state under a Red Flag Warning Wednesday, meaning weather has created especially dangerous fire conditions.
- The DNR recommends refraining from activities that involve campfires, fireplace ash, outdoor grills, smoking, chainsaws, or off-road vehicles as they have the potential to ignite a fire and spread quickly.
- You can check the current fire danger level here.
🗳️ Sen. Tammy Baldwin launched her 2024 campaign.
- Wisconsin's two-term Democratic senator announced her bid for re-election Wednesday.
- Baldwin first won election to the U.S. Senate in 2012, becoming the country's first openly LGBTQ+ senator. Prior to the Senate, she served on the Madison City Council, Dane County Board of Supervisors, State Assembly, and U.S. House of Representatives.
- No Republican candidate has entered the race yet.
🐕 There's a new indoor dog park coming to the West side.
- DoggieLand Play Park, located at 4233 W. Beltline Highway, is expected to open in May.
- The membership-focused facility will have multiple indoor play areas for dogs – think of it as a gym or country club for canines, complete with spaces for grooming and training.
- The owners are big dog lovers and have six German Shepherds. You can keep up with their progress on their Facebook page.
🏥 Want to learn CPR?
- The Madison Fire Department is hosting free community CPR classes in May and June. The 90-minute courses will teach the key elements of chest compressions and placement and operation of the Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
- The course isn't for certification, but you can find certified CPR courses near you here.
🎙️ Today on City Cast Madison
You Need to Visit Madison’s Newest French Bakery
There’s a new french bakery in Madison, tucked away in the old New Orleans Take-out spot on Fordem Ave by the railroad tracks. It’s a non-descript spot on Madison’s northside. A small sandwich board stands outside. The old jazz mural is still there.
But inside, the flavors explode. Handmade asparagus quiche with buttery, flaky dough. Kouign-amann, the cake that seems to be half butter by weight. Fresh baked croissants. Savory tarts. Spice buns.
It’s called Far Breton Bakery. And their grand opening is tomorrow.
Owner Marie-Arzel Young shares some of her baking secrets with us… and let’s just say they involve butter.
- Brews and Q's Taproom Trivia at Karben4 Brewing
- Clean Lakes 101: From Waste to Worth: Phosphorus Recovery and Reuse at The Edgewater. Virtual option available.
- Dear Theo: The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Live @ Mystery to Me: Marcy McCreary in Conversation with Nick Chiarkas at Mystery to Me
- Maggie Cousin Combo, Maestranza at The Bur Oak
- Music Bingo at Starkweather Brewing Company
- Sensation, a kink/sensory play dance party at Crucible
- Webinar: Fire, Shipwrecks, and Cheese: Wisconsin's Lost Coastal Communities at Wisconsin Historical Society
- Acoustic Happy Hour Ft. Adem Tesfaye at Garver Feed Mill
- Adult Swim: Death & Taxes at Madison Children's Museum
- Beyond the Surface: A Fusion of Art, Poetry, and Healing at 100state
- San Holo at Liquid Madison
- Silent Courage Showing at Camp Createability
- Presentation: "What Have We Done to Deserve All These Cranes?" Virtual.
- Warner Park Community Recreation Center Family Fun Night at Warner Park
📝 Miss a Minute?
Check out the headlines from our last newsletter.