Gooooood morning, Madison!
Buckle up, y'all because this weekend marks the start of one of the city's biggest events: the World Dairy Expo.
The annual event brings floods of people and animals to the isthmus for a week of events. The whole thing kicks off Sunday, Oct. 2 and runs through Oct. 7 (side note: how did we make it to October already?!).
Expect plenty of traffic — especially near the Alliant Energy Center, where the event is held — and of course, plenty of cows.
🚨 UWPD arrested a man on hate crime charges after several incidents at a dorm.
- Following an altercation at Witte Hall Thursday morning, university police arrested a Madison man after threatening students in the dorm. The 20-year-old suspect isn't affiliated with the university, UWPD says. He now faces multiple charges including disorderly conduct with a hate crime enhancer.
- The Thursday incident was the third this week involving the same man. On Monday, he allegedly threatened a group of students playing pool, who felt like they were targeted because they were speaking Spanish.
📚 The families and staff of Sennett Middle School have questions.
- If you'll recall: Earlier this week the Madison Metropolitan School District announced the departure of Sennett Middle School Principal Dr. Jeffery Copeland. He had only been on the job for a month.
- Dozens of people attended Wednesday’s board meeting asking for answers and arguing for Copeland’s reinstatement. The State Journal reports staff are aware of why Copeland left, "but have been asked not to share details with the media." Staff at the meeting lauded Copeland’s leadership and shared many compliments of his short tenure.
- Two former MMSD school leaders will serve as co-interim principals for the rest of the school year.
- Related: 19 MMSD schools to have new principals this fall (Cap Times)
💰 DAIS just got a big boost.
- The county has set aside $1 million of its 2023 budget to fund emergency services for domestic abuse victims through Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS). The nonprofit is based in Madison and serves Dane County. The group advocates for people affected by domestic violence through support, education, and outreach.
- DAIS also announced a new 24/7 domestic abuse text line that allows victims of abuse to get help silently. The confidential line is open now and gives those living in abusive situations a potential way to reach out for help.
☎️ Don't fall for rent scams.
- The Madison Police Department has been "inundated" with calls from renters who had been conned into sending money to people claiming to be landlords for apartments that were either already rented or didn't even exist.
- Their recommendation: Do your research, people. Meet people in person, when possible. Read online reviews. Madison can be a tricky town for renting and if a listing seems too good to be true, it probably is.
📰 Meet Tone Madison's new politics editor.
- Our friends over at Tone Madison recently announced the hire of Christina Lieffring as the outlet's first News and Politics Editor. You might recall her name from her regular Capitol Punishments column. Send her all of your political pitches, and who knows, maybe you'll see your story in this very newsletter someday!
- Via Madison365: "When the pandemic shut things down in March 2020, Chamieka House-Osuya’s first thought was her students. She was working in Milwaukee Public Schools administration at the time, and had spent years working with students with special emotional and behavioral needs.
'I immediately thought about the kids that I used to serve at that school' when Governor Tony Evers announced the closure of schools across Wisconsin, she told Madison365. 'A lot of our students rely on meals from school. They need their meals from school or they’re not eating… I was like what can I do from the safety of my own home and keeping other people safe to help bridge the gap?
She and a friend jumped into action, creating The Snack Sack – bags of food, delivered to families, purchased through donations."
- Watch Out for These Convincing Financial Scams
- Bank of Sun Prairie opens branch in Sun Prairie West High School
- Best Ways to Save for a Home Without Even Noticing
- Want to learn more? Bank of Sun Prairie's Financial Fitness Center offers 50+ digital short courses in English and Spanish.
📅 Events: The weekend
- Afrovibe Soiree Dance Party at Cafe CODA
- Badger Meet-Up below Alumni Center
- Big Jay Oakerson at Comedy on State
- Ryan Meisel spirit dance: a tribute to the spiritual music of John Coltrane with Susan Hofer & Cody Steinmann trio at North Street Cabaret
- Corey Mathew Hart at Karben4 Brewing
- Def Sonic at The Brink Lounge
- DIG JAZZ: Lo Marie at the Wisconsin Union Theater Play Circle
- DJ MAJOR TOM spinning 50's, 60's Reggae & Ska at Dark Horse Artbar
- Spider-man, into the Spider-Verse at Goodman South Madison Library
- The Deslondes at High Noon Saloon
- Kikeh Mato + The Earthlings at The Bur Oak
- Luke Leavitt's Sound Tile Piano Series at Garver Feed Mill
- NOCHE DE VERANO SIN TI: Celebración de Bad Bunny at Majestic Madison
- The Periodicals: Happy Hour on the patio at High Noon Saloon
- Pro Arte Quartet at Hamel Music Center
- Ship Wrek at Liquid Madison
- Artist Talk Charles Munch at Abel Contemporary Gallery
- Environmental Film Screening: Thirst for Justice and 65 at Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Grown Up Improv Show at Harmony Bar & Grill
- Italian Baroque Masters with Lisette Kielson at Holy Wisdom Monastery
- Madison Vegan Fest at Lunney Lake Farm Park
- Makers Market at Angell Park, Sun Prairie
- Movies with Madison Parks - Footloose (1984) at Olin Park pavilion
- Mr. Softheart & Calamity at Mickey's Tavern
- Sweetgrass braiding mini-workshop at Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Waunakee Artisan Market at Schumacher Farm Park
- OPIUO at Majestic Madison
- Sam Rodewald at Karben4 Brewing
- Sunday Afternoon Live: Pro Arte Quartet at the Chazen
- First day of the World Dairy Expo at Alliant Energy Center
🐶 Friday Floof
Happy Friday, friends. Look at this tiny floof. Don't let the size fool you, though. This baby's name is Reese and though he's small, he's plenty feisty.
😸 Do you have a floof to share with the Madison Minutes community? Fill out this form for the opportunity to be featured.
📝 Miss a Minute? Check out yesterday's newsletter.